It is important that we eat healthily. To do this we have to have what is called "a diet. This is the food we eat and the drinks we drink. To have a healthy diet, we have to make sure we eat the right kinds of foods. Nutritious foods are very good for us. The nutrients help us to grow, keep our bodies in good repair, and help us to stay fit and active.
The National Advisory Committee on Nutrition (NACNE) issued a report of recommendations that the nation should follow:
· Eat less fatty food, especially fats high in saturated fatty acid, such as butter and lard.
· Cut down on the amount of sugar we consume, from foods, such as sweets, to fizzy drinks.
· Eat more cereal foods such as bread and pasta.
· Increase the amount of dietary fibre eaten, found in cereals, fruits and vegetables.
· Eat less salt-cut down on salty snacks, for example.
· Drink less alcohol, found in beer, spirits and wine.
There are many alternatives that can be used to make the same dishes, only healthier.
· Use polyunsaturated margarine and oil instead of butter, suet and lard.
· Fry meat such as minced beef or bacon in its own fat-drain off any runny fat before completing the recipe.