It is important that we eat healthily. To do this we have to have what is called "a diet. This is the food we eat and the drinks we drink. To have a healthy diet, we have to make sure we eat the right kinds of foods. Nutritious foods are very good for us. The nutrients help us to grow, keep our bodies in good repair, and help us to stay fit and active.
The National Advisory Committee on Nutrition (NACNE) issued a report of recommendations that the nation should follow:
· Eat less fatty food, especially fats high in saturated fatty acid, such as butter and lard.
· Cut down on the amount of sugar we consume, from foods, such as sweets, to fizzy drinks.
· Eat more cereal foods such as bread and pasta.
· Increase the amount of dietary fibre eaten, found in cereals, fruits and vegetables.
· Eat less salt-cut down on salty snacks, for example.
· Drink less alcohol, found in beer, spirits and wine.
There are many alternatives that can be used to make the same dishes, only healthier.
· Use polyunsaturated margarine and oil instead of butter, suet and lard.
· Fry meat such as minced beef or bacon in its own fat-drain off any runny fat before completing the recipe.
· Choose fish or white meats such as chicken or turkey instead of red meat such as beef and lamb.
· Try using liver, kidney and heart in cooking-they are good sources of iron and B vitamins.
· Use skimmed or semi-skimmed milk instead of whole milk.
· Cut down on the fat content supplied by cheese by either using a smaller quantity of strongly flavoured cheese or a low fat cheese.
· Cut down on the sugar added to recipes.
· Choose fruit canned in its own juice or unsweetened fruit juice.
· Use more wholemeal flour and wholemeal pasta in recipes.
Dieticians have also discovered ideal amounts of nutrients we should eat each day. These amounts change according to our sex, age, size, and sort of