Specific Purpose: To convince my audience of the importance of eating breakfast.
Central Idea: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, not just for nutritional benefits, but for mental benefits as well, and there is no excuse not to eat it.
I. How many of you are hungry right now? How many of you that are hungry did not have breakfast this morning? Do you have trouble concentrating, feel irritable, or have no energy in the morning? If you do, it may be because you do not eat breakfast.
II. When you were a kid, your mom always told you that breakfast was the most important meal of the day. It turns out she was right. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, not just for nutritional benefits, but for mental benefits as well, and there is no excuse not to eat it.
I. You would be shocked at how many people skip their first meal
a. According to Adirondack Sports and Fitness, nearly one fifth of adults don't eat at all in the morning.
b. Many students don't eat breakfast
i. 25 percent of elementary students skip breakfast.
ii. 60 percent of students ages 9 to 15 skip breakfast.
c. People have all kinds of excuses for not eating breakfast.
i. The first is that some find it boring.
1. Many people think that breakfast is ham, eggs, sausage, pancakes, waffles, etc.
2. According to Atkins.com breakfast can be any type of foods including tuna, or leftovers from dinner.
ii. The next is that some of you aren't hungry in the morning.
1. Eating breakfast doesn't have to be first thing in the morning.
2. If you wake up at 8, then eat breakfast at 10, lunch at 2, and dinner at 8, but don't skip that first meal.
iii. The third, and most common excuse is that you don't have enough time in the mornings.
1. Breakfast doesn't have to take a long time.