Daniel- also given the name Belteshazzar by Nebuchadnezzar, student in Babylonian court.
Hananiah- given the name Shadrach, student in Babylonian court.
Azariah- given the name Abednego, student in Babylonian court.
Mishael- given the name Meshach, student in Babylonian court.
Events that took place:.
1) King Nebuchadnezzar orders Israelites from the royal family to be a student in the Babylonian Court. (1:3).
2) Among the ones taken from Judah are Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah. (1:6).
3) Daniel refuses to eat the royal food and wine because it would cause him to defile himself. (1:8).
4) Chief official allows a test for ten days allowing the four men to eat only vegetables and to drink only water. After ten days they were healthier and more nourished than any others. (1:14-15).
5) God gives the four men knowledge and understanding and Daniel is able to understand dreams and visions. (1:17).
6) King Nebuchadnezzar takes the four into his service and found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his kingdom (1:19).
7) Nebuchadnezzar has a dream and orders all wise men in Babylon to me executed. (2:12).
8) Daniel asks God for mercy and that night Nebuchadnezzarâ€™s dream was revealed to Daniel in a vision. (2:17-19) He then praises God. (2:20-23).
9) Daniel interprets the dream for Nebuchadnezzar. (2:24-45).
10) Nebuchadnezzar praises Daniel and gives credit to his God. (2:46-47).
11) Daniel is made ruler over Babylon and is put in charge of all wise men. (2:48) Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were made administrators over Babylon. (2:49).
These first two chapters take place in Babylon, where Nebuchadnezzar ruled. Daniel had recently been exiled from Judah to Babylonia.
The story takes place in the third year of the reign of Jehoikakim king of Judah. This is said to be 605 b.c. Three years are covered over the span of these two chapters as mentioned in 1:5.
The only â€œwhyâ€ that I see is at the end of chapter two when Nebuchadnezzar says in verse 47, â€œSurely your God is the God of gods and the Lord of kings and a revealer of mysteries, for you were able to reveal this mystery.