Ephedra is a shrub like plant that is found in dessert regions in central Asia and other parts of the world.
1.The dried greens of the plant are used medically.
2. Ephedra is a stimulant captaining an herbal form of ephedrine, a FDA regulated drug found in over the counter asthma medications.
3.Ephedra are widely used for weight loss, as an energy booster and to enhance athletic performance.
B. What are some side effects? Some side effects are infact deadly.
1. Blood pressure would elevate, rapid heart rate, nerve damage, muscle injury, insomnia, nervousness, tremors seizures, closing of the throat, heart attacks, and deaths.
2. Users and doctors have reported -Over 13,000 injuries, and most of these cases involve heart attacks, high blood pressure leading to bleeding in the brain and strokes.
(Transition: Now That we see what Ephedra actually is, lets see how it structurally works.) .
II. People may not understand why it can slow down our functioning. .
A. In the brain there are Neurons, which effects our behavior. .
1. The neuron consists of many things. Three things that in gonna discuss are the Dopamine receptors, Uptake site, and the stimulus which is the Ephedra.
2. The stimulus gets released. It acts by blocking the reuptake site (transporters). The dopamine receptors begin to increase pace by bouncing back and forth; this leads to increased brain activity, which gives people that uptake sensation. .
3. Eventually it will squeeze through the reuptake site, and it will slow down your dopamine receptors.
B. It is important that the dopamine receptors are always moving at a moderate pace.
1. It can be harmful to us in the long-term effects.
2. This is one of the reasons why people get Parkinson's disease.
4. The dopamine moved from a moderate pace, to a fast pace, and back to a moderate pace again.