"Owwwwwwwwwww mom, make them take the IV out now!!!!!!" I screamed as the nurse injected the IV with medicine. Our trip to Mexico did not go as planned. Would I ever imagine that my very first trip to a foreign country would end up in a hospital? What I experienced last summer in Mexico gave me the maturity and the courage that I will keep for the rest of my life.
It all started when my mom and I landed in Mexico City, the second largest city in the world. The sights and the smells of the city were definitely overwhelming to my senses. There were shops and kiosks every where you looked. Everything was larger than life. It was amazing, and I was so excited I did not really know what to think. Mexico was full of places to see and things to do, there was never a dull moment. Getting sick was surely the last thing on my mind.
Knowing that Mexico was not the safest place in the world to eat or drink, I tried to get by with eating carefully. After a full morning of touring, we decided to eat at a very cute authentic Mexican restaurant. Once we were seated, there were flies and little bugs everywhere. There were even creepy crawlers inside the towel that covered the scorching tortillas. The food was unique and something I had never tasted before. Much to my dismay, I found it was that very same food that would shortly give me parasites.
The following days were very fun and full of adventure. My mom and I climbed many pyramids, went shopping, met some new people, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. All of the fun ended one night when I started having excruciating pains in my stomach. It felt like my aching stomach was being eaten from the inside out. I had never experienced that much pain in my entire life. We had emergency visits in the middle of the night from two different doctors. After a shot and antibiotic pills, I was not getting a bit better. Finally in the wee hours of the morning, I just could not stand the pain any longer.