No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... despair when the remnants of Mary's bones are found in the furnace that he jumps out the window and winds up urinating on himself from the shock of the cold air outside. Bigger's girlfriend Bessie becomes the next victim of his desperate state. When Bigger rapes Bessie "he [is] conscious of nothing [then] but her and what he [wants]" and "he ... of desperation and hopelessness takes place when he is sentenced to death for killing Mary. He evidently accepts his sentence when he confides in his lawyer "I reckon I believe in myself . I ain't got nothing else . I got to die ."(428). Bigger'...
... the story is set in, the Salinas river, for example. The characters all speak in a 1930's American style, like in chapter one when George says to Lennie We ain't got any' and An' watta I got?'. This adds further realism to the characters. I feel that Steinbeck describes the loneliness of the place well, for example, he ... make George and Lennie sure that he wants the place he tells them; I'd make a will an' leave my share to you guys in case I kick off, cause I ain't got no relatives nor nothing. You guys got any money? Maybe we could do it right now?' Crooks is a black man with a croo...
... that. The white players refused to play on a team that consisted of blacks along with a black coach and vice versa. "I say boycott T.C. Williams, our boys ain't playing for no Coach Coon." But in order to play on the team, they had to settle for that idea anyways. The white and black players broke through ... Likewise, Berniece, in August Wilson's Piano Lesson, was focused on the tradition of the family. She was mind-set on keeping the piano in their family. "I ain't selling that piano, Boy Willie. If that's why you come up here, you can just forget about it." She felt that her and Boy Wi...
... not be were he was if it weren't for them. Eddie shocks the audience with his outbursts of what he thinks is healthy conversation: Rosa Parks ain't do nothing but sit her black ass down. She ain't special! Rodney King should have gotten his ass beat! OJ did it! F**k Jessie Jackson! Martin Luther King was a "ho! On the Barbershop official webpage, there ... not be were he was if it weren't for them. Eddie shocks the audience with his outbursts of what he thinks is healthy conversation: Rosa Parks ain't do nothing but sit her black ass down. She ain't special! Rodney King should have gott...
... much more longer we gotta go? These rocks is burning my foots," I said. "Ain't much further." (Moody, page 20) and to this Anne responded ""Mama told us we ain't supposed to wear our shoes out round the house. You know we ain't got but one pair and them my school shoes."(Moody, page 20). As you can ... ...
... applying liniment to his back; this was a private act of a private man. " If you guys would want a hand to work for nothing-just his keep, why I'd come an' lend a hand. I ain't so crippled I can't work like a son-of-a-bitch if I want to," is an example of Crooks' loneliness as he proposes to work for George and Lennie if they buy a ranch ... come back, Lennie strongly believes that he will. This was emphasised earlier in the novel by Slim, as he says, "Ain't many guys travel around together." This shows how unique and special George and Lennie's relationship is. The statement "You ain't...
... Blacks in America, creates the backdrop for the matriarchal figure that speaks to her son. The first two lines of the poem, "Well, son, I"ll tell you; / Life for me ain't been no crystal stair" can be interpreted as a tired and weary parent delivering a lifetime of experience to her son (lines 1-2). This is the principal statement of the poem and introduces ... turnin" corners" being unsure of what is going to happen next, not able to see what the mother might encounter (line 11). "And sometimes goin" in the dark / where there ain't been no light" depicts the unknown and lack of light m...
... be near him."(Steinbeck, 72) Crooks feels lonely because he does not have a friend to laugh with, talk with, or to share his emotions with. "A guy goes nuts if he ain't got nobody- (Steinbeck, 72) Unfortunately, Crooks portrays a weak, defenseless character. The symbols of insignificance and weakness represent Crooks. These qualities are displayed in his confrontation with Curley's wife in his ... everybody is doing something, " an" what am I doin"? Standin" here talkin" to a bunch of bindle stiffs- a n***** (Crooks) an" a dum-dum (Lenny), a lousy ol" sheep (Candy)- an" likin" it becaus...
... many dreadful things to happen. The book reflects this as one section reads: ""This folks so bad in here. Heard tell they lynched a boy a few days ago at Crossington" "And ain't a thing gonna be done "bout it" said Mr. Lainer" This shows the law didn't protect harmful acts from being done to black people, at the time of the novel. Due ... . The grandmother of the Logan family "Big Ma" keeps a gun under her granddaughters bed, and T.J. would do anything for a gun. ""Jus" look at it" T.J. Said dreamily. "Ain't she somethin"? I"d sell my life for that gun Ain't s"pose to hunt with. It's for...
... suffered at least one thousand arrests, thirty-five shootings, eight beatings, and six murders. According to Smith, "Stokely Carmichael was a 1960's black radical who could raise his fist in the air, shout "Black Power!" and polarize white and black Americans in an instant (173)." Carmichael was a very powerful man who was proud of his race, and wanted to work to see ... world! [My dad] worked like a dog, day and night! But only death came to that poor black man! -and in his earlier forties! My grandfather had to run, run, run. I ain't running no more. (174) People felt that this statem...
... confesses to her: "All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my daddy. I had to fight my brothers. I had to fight my cousins and my uncles. A girl child ain't safe in a family of men. But I never thought I'd have to fight in my own house. She let out her breath. I loves Harpo, she say. God knows I do. But I'll kill ... . All you fit to do in Memphis is be Shug's maid. Take out her slop-jar and maybe cook her food. You not that good a cook either. And this house ain't been clean good since my first wife died. And nobody crazy or backward enough to want to marry you, neither. What you gon...
... that she will never be able to return home to Centreville. This led me to choosing the third song titled, "Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around" by The Roots. Throughout the song The Roots repeat the lyrics, "Ain't gonna let nobody, turn me around, I just keep on a-walkin', keep on a-talkin', Marching on to freedom land" and ... ...
... that she will never be able to return home to Centreville. This led me to choosing the third song titled, "Ain't Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around" by The Roots. Throughout the song The Roots repeat the lyrics, "Ain't gonna let nobody, turn me around, I just keep on a-walkin', keep on a-talkin', Marching on to freedom land" and ... ...
... him because he is old too. Also, when the others go into town, Candy is left behind. Carlson questions Candy about the welfare of his dog, "He ain't no good to you, Candy. An he ain't no good to himself. Why"nt you shoot him, Candy" (pg 44). From this quote the character Candy senses he isn't any good either. These are ... ...
... both to get drunk on." Another good example of verbal irony is when Levi Bell the lawyer says "Set down, my boy; I wouldn't strain myself if I was you. I reckon you ain't used to lying, it don't seem to come handy; what you want is practice. You do it pretty awkward." This is very ironic because Huck has survived throughout this whole ... the slaves were treated worse than dogs by talking about servants in England. "How is servants treated in England? Do they treat "em better"n we treat our niggers?" "No! A servant ain't nobody there. They treat them worse than dogs." The situational ir...
... and why is she making such a big scene in front of the church. They both overhear Lula saying to Cal " You ain't got no business bringing white chillun here- they got there church, we got our"n. It is are church, ain't it Mrs. Cal?" (Lee 119). Cal tells Jem and Scout to go inside of the church and get a seat. As they ... ...
... to recover his forbidden dignity. Crooks is also very jealous of the relationship that George and Lennie have and pines for it. "Books ain't no good. A guy needs somebody-to be near him A guy goes nuts if he ain't got nobody. Don't make a difference who the guy is, long's he's with you- All Crooks has are his books for friends and they ... ...
... . When he replied simply "Oh, no!" they smashed a liquor bottle on him and caused him to fall (Wright 9). They stopped the car and spoke to him "Nigger, ain" yuh learned no better sense"n tha" yet? Ain" yuh learned t" say sir t" a white man yet?" (Wright 9). Unfortunately, despite its importance, this type of education could only get you so far in the world. As ... ...
... up in jail if he kept hanging out on the corner. James told Chicken-Man that he was a smart guy. Chicken-Man said, "Everybody on this corner is smart. You ain't no smarter than anybody here. If you were so smart, why you got to come on this corner every summer? "Cause you flunkin" school! You think if you dropped out ... of school somebody's gonna beg you to go back. What makes you so special that they"ll beg you! Who are you? You ain't nobody! If you want to drop out of school and shoot people and hang on this corner all your life, go ahead. It's your life!" By Chicken-man telling Jame...
... the black women look down toward the importance of individuality, as a means of breaking down stereotypes. Janie to Jody: "it jus' looks lak it keeps us in some way we ain't natural wid one 'nother. You'se always off talkin' and fixin' things, and Ah feels lak Ah'm jus' markin time. Hope it soon gits over" (Hurston 43) Janie in reference ... to Tea Cake: "...we ain't got nothin' tuh do but do our work and come home and love" (Hurston 127). As the title of the novel indicates, God plays a major part in the novel, but ... ...
... evict their slaves and send them on their way. "Sit down there all of you and listen to what I got to say. I hate to do it but I must. You all ain't my niggers no more. You is free. Just as free as I am. Here I have raised you all to work for me, and now you are going to leave me. I am ... were overworked once again became the inferior class. "Last week, in Chattanooga, I said to a nigger I found on the railroad, 'Here Buck! Show me the baggage room.' He said, 'My name ain't Buck.' I just put my six-shooter to his head and by golly.' He didn't stop to think what his name was, but showed...
... mother doesn't trust him because she knows he will spend his money on things he doesn't need, so she keeps the money he earns from his job. " ' Yuh ain nothing but a boy yit!' 'It be fer Pa.'" Dave's mother says when she is asked if Dave could get a gun. Dave feels like the gun will make him ... ...
... up to the collars, sleeves unrolled, hats pulled firmly down over their ears-. As Scout questioned "Don't you remember me, Mr Cunningham? I go to school with Walter. He's your boy, ain't he?- the acquaintance between Scout and his son make Mr Cunningham shamefaced as he realized his sinful deed. Lee's characterization of the Lynch mob in this conflict portrays the triumph ... ...
... woed her with his words of kindness. He promised her happieness. "De day you puts yo" hand in mine, Ah wouldn't let de sun go down on us single. You ain't never knowed what it was to be treated lak a lady and Ah wants to be de one tuh show yuh." He wanted her to feel special, and be treated like ... ...