No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... . As mentioned before, Happy and Biff represent two sides of Willy's personality. Another significant character is Ben, Willy's dead brother, who he often talks to in his illusions. Ben is Willy's hero in that Ben is his ideal of economic and personal success; Willy always regrets not taking up Ben's offer to come with him to Alaska and become rich. On the other hand ... represents false standards of conduct. His character leads Willy away from realistic ideals (Mann 317). Another significant scene in the play is the garden scene where Willy is "talking" with Ben. Here, they are contempl...
... always wanted him to be. On the other side of Willy's argument is his brother Ben. Ben is described as someone who is true to his self, not corrupted by materialism. Instead Ben is successful in his own way. Willy describes Ben by saying that all he has to do is go into any city, pick up ... the phone and he's making his living. Miller uses Ben's reference to the "jungle" as the setting to show how Ben's ruthless success carries uneasy connotations of a place where only the fittest will survive and in which weaker members like Willy will ... understand the significance of this situation...
... the need to rebel from society, and the detachment felt from ones parents as one becomes a young adult. Dustin Hoffman's surprising good portrayal of the confused state Ben Braddock was in showed the viewer the need to rebel as a young adult. The rebelling came in the form of an affair with Mrs. Robinson played by ... young adults especially amid those being pressured by authority figures and those questioning who they truly are, claims co-author Ross D. Parke of the book Family-Peer Relationships. Ben Braddock's rebellion comes from his feeling of need to "conform" to what he believes s...
... acts like a father figure towards Huck, for instance they were on the Island and Jim saw a dead body, "It's a dead man. Yes, indeedly; naked, too. He's ben shot in de back. I reck'n he's ben dead two er three days. Come in, Huck, but doan' look at his face- it's too ghashly" (38). Jim covers up a dead man who Huck learns ... ...
... of this is when he states: " 'Pooty soon I'll be a-shout'n' for joy, en I'll say, it's all on accounts o' Huck; I's a free man, en I couldn't ever ben free ef it hadn' ben for Huck; Huck done it. Jim won't ever forgit you, Huck; you's de bes' fren' Jim's ever had; en you's de ONLY fren' ole Jim's got now.' I was ... ...
... desperately wants to do things right, but without extending much effort. Throughout the play, he drifts in and out of a dream where he talks to his dead brother Ben. According to Willy, Ben led an extremely successful life, which only reminds Willy of his inadequacies. He will argue with anyone about the fact that he still has some sort of dignity. He ... ...
... with intentions of surrendering Jim, he heard Jim yell to him, "Pooty soon I'll be a-shout'n for joy, en I'll say, it's on accounts o'Huck; I's a free man, en I couldn't ever ben free ef it hadn' been for Huck; Huck done it. Jim won't ever forgit you, Huck; you's de bes' fren' Jim's ever had; en you's de only fren' ole Jim ... ...