Another high mark in Chinese politics, culture.
Resembled Han but more of everything.
Opened to the new and different, adopting the best of what the world offered .
3. Chinese, particularly on the south also designated themselves asnen of Tang.
4. Founding family intermarried w/ non-Chinese.
B. Accomplishments .
1. Strengthened bureaucratic government .
2. Supported an elaborate hierarchy of court aristocracy.
3. Broadened the money economy.
4. Increased transportation system.
5. Strengthened military.
6. Subdued barbarians.
7. Brought Chinese influence to outlying lands.
8. Expanded foreign trade.
C. Empress Wu Chinas's only empress (660-705).
1. Proclaimed a new dynasty, the Zhou.
2. Strong ruler, suppressed dissidents .
3. Patron of Buddhism, proclaiming the coming of the buddha maitreya who will bring utopia.
D. Society and Culture.
1. Discoveries in math, astrology, medicine.
2. Increased varieties in foods from other countries.
3. Widespread consumption of the tea and as a major trade product .
4. Growth of southern cities as a commerce center.
5. General use of printing because of the exam system spread of wors and literature.
6. Flowering of poetry especially among court aristocrats.
7. Foreign influence (central Asia, India, Japan, Korea, Tibet) in arts and life.
8. Buddhist sculptures: laughing Buddha, Bodhisattua Guanyi, Buddha Amila.
9. Further development of earthen ware pottery.
10. Landscape painting appeared.
1. Tolerance of acceptance of other religions.
2. Confucianism in upper classes in cities.
3. Daosim still popular in courtside border areas.
4. Buddhism at it height in china during Tang.
F. Decline .
1. Weak emperors.
2. Infighting among court factions.
3. Strong regional general warring w/ each other.
4. Taxation system broke down.
5. Increase in tax fee states.
6. Population increased Rebellions uprising in countryside.
7. Barbarians intrusions intensified.
1. Institutionalized examination.
2. Flowering of poetry and parenting .
3. Rapid growth of cities as government economic cultural centers.