No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... -bitten waifs without food or shelter or good coats and there was no food or shelter or good coats to give them. Nothing to offer them but the war and a cold, slow death. There were more children than adults now, and the adults were about war and there were only a few like myself there to help them. One of the few ... not another word until the middle of the night when I drifted into sleep momentarily, for all my sleep was momentary, and opened my eyes to the lamp light and the cold hospital air. I pulled a Kleenex from the box beside my bed and coughed blood into it. "You are getting be...
... a process in which the individual's existing self-concept and identity are erased in favor of a new personality or are altered to fit new roles. I am not so sure that I would agree with that definition. I do not think that someone whom is being imprisoned would consider it to be a favored transition. My interpretation of the definition is, life's transitions's one must make ... avaiable I would need to change my eating habits, to include much more fish. My house would no longer have flowers growing in front, I owuld be forced to adhere to the cold climate of a house. Transporatation wou...
... the grip of centeredness. Compassion is a big role in our lives and states that compassion can awaken our lives if done correctly, which I completely agree with. If you want that awakening, then compassion must be given universally to everybody. Generally, everyone feels some sort of compassion, but honestly that ... goes in the next pages goes on to explaining that awareness is a process of deepening of self acceptance. He states that it's 'neither a cold, surgical examination of life nor a means of becoming perfect'. Self awareness is important because when we have a better unders...
... Malcolm X? " I thought they were a people with a good cause but not a peaceful means, and through those means made more people hate them. That isn't the way and I was rather fearful. I don't agree with their approach." 7. How did the media through the movies, TV, and scientific and Medical advancement impact American society? "The media gets a little impressed with their own personal ideas. Is ... rifle which is designed to kill people, I just don't see the reason." 30. What was the global impact of the collapse of USSR and the end of the cold war? "It certainly took the cold war tensio...
Man's Best Friend Every so often I will come across an author that I totally don't agree with yet for some reason find irresistible interesting. One such author is Jack London. What interested me the most about Jack London was his book "The Call of the Wild." ... seem out of place with his "high" life. First of all, he is a mixed breed. Need I say more on that subject? His love of exercise hardens his muscles, and "the cold-tubbing races, the love of water had been a tonic and a health preserver." This is no delicate creature who sits around like some kind of pansy. The other dogs, a Japanes...
... hearted and polite. All three of my friends departed for school that morning with smiles on their faces and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The forecast for today was cold during the morning and rising temperatures in the afternoon. School went by slow and boring as usual for every kid on the planet. As the day went school seemed to ... started to get dangerous it had been about 5 min of struggling and battling gravity. Hypothermia was not far away. Amazingly they managed to get the child's backpack off his freezing cold body. Pulling him out of the water my one friend started to fall ...
... know that I still have to endure yet another day of this hell on earth. As I walk out to stand in line waiting to be marched down to the worlkfield, the cold nips at my every inch of exposed flesh, just to let me know that I am still alive. As I"m marching I look over at one of the capos, and notice the sudden ... you back from doing anything that you would normally do under normal circumstances. A prison doesn't have to be physical; it can be in your mind, body, and life. "Former prisoners agree that the most depressing influence of all was that a prisoner could not know how long his t...
... of them. They feel as if others will ridicule them and not accept them for who they are. (6) Symptoms of shyness include your heart begins to race, your hands become cold, your cheeks begin to blush and you get a churning feeling in your stomach (7) Your mind begins to constantly think on how you are behaving during the current social situation and ... your mind doesn't pay attention to what is being said, so when you talk, the words don't really come out as right. What are the causes of shyness? Most researchers agree that there are two main factors that contribute to shyness. They are...
... different corners of the United States was becoming much more widely appreciated. Along with the committed involvement in the Vietnam War, the United States was gripped with fear from the Cold War, leaving citizens wondering what might come of nuclear warfare. Therefore, appreciating the smaller, less dense aspects of life became easier. Scofield points out that while the coast of Maine ... divided in their opinions, regardless of the conservative or liberal influence in their beliefs. Because of this the citizens of the United States were often at odds. With little to agree upon, Ameri...
... paths with and the Soviets and their communist edicts were kind of comedic. The connection he makes between the two differing governmental policies was spot on and I felt like the cold war was still being waged, at least in his mind. While detailing the leading causes of death in America Dr. Mate makes note of some interesting points. By highlighting chronic ... -backwards North American justice systems really are in dealing with the real issues at hand. Mate is able to define addiction as purely an escape of awareness. I happen to strongly agree with his viewpoints on how in some cultur...
... throws away the outdated model and buys the new and improved version. Our dumps would be full of last years model of wife. The wife is the perfect accessory, and I agree with Ms. Brady, I too want a wife. Yet the thought of someone who does everything, leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Sure the idea of a wife sounds like a great idea, but ... the relationship sounds cold. Judy Brady's portrayal of a wife is a lot like a computer. Programed to do what you want it to. Brady never once used the word love in her essay. I honestly can say ... ...
... that idea is true. I search my brain for memories concerning the weather and what the sky looked like at the time. The sky is usually brownish overcast when it is cold and about to thunderstorm. There are also times at around 5 o"clock in the morning when the golden sunrise is clashing with the night sky giving off a brownish tint. After tracing ... ideas, those that do return a considerable degree of quality of the original impressions belong to memory, while other ideas belong to imagination. The mind has the capacity to imagine. However, I agree with Hume that most ideas are just aug...
... of people that I don't know as well as my good friends. Now it is very hard to trust others because of this story. Stacey had been sitting in the dark, cold room for hours. She could feel the rope rubbing against her wrists and the blindfold felt like it had given her minimal circulation in her head at this point. It ... to name this secret place, since they both knew they would be returning back to this beautiful place. Together, the two thought of many names, but both just had to agree on Focus Point because they knew this area would be a great place to relax and think to themselves o...
... like there was a hook and ladder going by. Says here people shut up in the middle of sentences and stayed that way for five minutes. Hundreds wandered around in the cold in their shirt-sleeves, grinning like toothpaste ads."(pg. 175)This sound, when amplified at the masses, caused full shackling of the mind, all free will gone, and just an ... protagonists begin to think of ways of turning this device into a cash crop. They realize that once the consumers mind is shackled, and void of free will, that they will agree with anything such as the sale of a house. When the protagonists do a t...
... the advice from men from Sulphur Creek, who advised it was potentially hazardous to travel alone. He had false confidence in himself. For example, despite the dangerously cold temperatures, he did not take necessary precautions when he built his first crucial fire. Then, when he realized his mistake, he didn't realize how serious it ... his excess self-confidence for the trek. Also, throughout his entire journey, the man concentrated on how cold it was around him. He constantly decided how cold it was and how he didn't like to be as cold as he was. Inevitably, the psychological factors ...
... country recently. It just grabs the reader's attention and the logical thinking is that a guy trying to reinjure another guy's broken arm is really not a good thing. Logistics and simple cold hard facts are a very powerful tool in catching the reader's attention because facts don't lie and logical thinking is pretty much the basis of human rhetoric, simple and to the ... questions that he asked throughout the article. This is a very effective tool in because he used an implied answer to end his piece. In the end you don't have to agree with Reilly and you don't have to love his writing ...
... ideas on whether the mind is passive or active. To Kant the problems with Hume's empiricism is that he believed that our thoughts came from objects and therefore we must agree with what our senses give us, Kant revolutionised this idea by saying that our mind changes the objects when we perceive them, and that therefore when thinking about knowledge we ... do any thinking about the world at all. He based this on the ideas of Descartes who believed that a lot of what we experience is made up, for example on a cold winter's day when you look out of a window, you do not see people walking ...
... conceived, it haunted me day and night" (pg 36). "I think it was his eye! yes, it was this! One of his eyes fell upon me, my blood ran cold; and so by degrees-very gradually-I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye for ever" (pg 36). It ... is here when the author first shares what is driving the young man and proves he is going insane; the eye, in his mind it made a cold calculated man out of himself, a once caring tender young man the old man had known. The young man believes that the eye physically turned his blood ... cold. Humans are all war...
... think that he made the right decision. They willingly back him up and spill their emotions for this mistreated race of people. The Navy men in the Lieutenant's team seem cold hearted and willing to kill on command in order to complete the mission. However, when they get together away from the civilians they are excavating they let each other feel ... , Lieutenant Waters discovers the truth about the people whom were around the people he was rescuing, he gives his opinion to the Captain, and even though the Captain does not agree and orders him to back out of the extra mission he has assi...
... the fat person is close to having a heart attack. It all depends on the person. Fat is good, it gives you that insulation that you need during those long, lonely, cold nights because there's no one to hold you. People are too into the whole thin is "in" idea, not seeing that fat can be beautiful. As a person who doesn't belong ... eats a stick of celery here and carrot there, what do they have to burn in their systems? Their energy is so limited that they don't have enough left for fun. I agree with Britt when she says that thin people are grumpy uptight people, and I believe that it is...
... as if it were coming from outside, so I ran as fast as my soft smoke covered slippers would carry me. Down the long steep stairs and outside I went onto the cold, dew covered front lawn. I found the rest of my family standing along with my neighbors and friends doused in their night attire. I stood and watched in horror as the ... old just learning to speak his first words. She calmly told me to relax, slow down, and sit at the table. In doing so, she gave me a nice ice-cold glass of water, and seeing me distressed, sat down next to me and non-chalantly asked me what was on my mind. Takin...
... first sentence is broken into small lines so that the reader pauses at the end of each line. "The first time I walked/With a girl, I was twelve,/Cold, and weighted down/With two oranges in my jacket."(lines 1-4) Each end has a concrete word to give signifigance to the phrase, such as walked, twelve, and jacket ... to note that the month is December, because the significance of having oranges in the winter is rare and or expensive. Although cold outside, the boy is not concerned about the cold, as his heart is warmed with the thought of his walk with the girl. Soto's use of informal dictat...
... and autumn set in with rain and an unseasonal frost at night. When I put gloves on the baby, she chewed them and had to sit in her pram with cold, wet hands. I did not mind for myself, but I did not know how to keep her warm. She dribbled too and her chest was always damp. She ... resisted for some time but in the end she caught a cold. I did not know what to do with her, as I hated going to the doctor. I had thought I would be finished with doctors at her birth, though I subsequently ... comfort and duty, and moreover it was not even my own health that was in question, but Octavia's, an...
... is full of great advice on how to live your life in such a way that you are regarded as a highly favorable person with impeccable morals. I agree with most of what Cicero has to say in his excerpt, On Duties. In this review I will summarize Cicero's" main arguments and his ideas for a ... come to a disastrous end when the U.S. decides to finally take him out of power. Cicero believes that civil war will never end" (135). I agree with him here also. So long as there are different races and backgrounds there will always be bloodshed. Next, Cicero explains how people are able to attain ... ...