Fiji is located in the South Pacific Ocean about two-thirds of the way from Hawaii to New Zealand, in the area of the world they call Oceania. Fiji consists of 332 islands, which 110 are inhabited. If you were to compare it to something in the U.S. It would be slightly smaller than the state of New Jersey. Officially known as the Sovereign Democratic Republic of the Fiji Islands. The Fiji Islands are an independent nation consisting of an archipelago surrounding the Koro Sea. .
The Fiji Islands are largely the product of volcanoes, sedimentary deposits and formations of coral. Viti Lever, the largest island, has an area of about 10,429 square kilometers and accounts for more than half of the Fiji's land. There is a Mountain range by the name of Nakauvadia, that runs North and South. The highest peak being that of Mount Tomanivi which is 4,341 feet and was formerly called Mount Victoria. The main river systems the Rewa, Nauva, Sigatoka, and Ba all have their source in the central Mountain area. .
Fiji enjoys a tropical South sea maritime climate without great extremes of temperatures. At the capital Suva, the average summer high is 29 degrees C, and the winter low is 20 degrees C. The islands receive the most rainfall (120 inches in a year) during the months of November through march. Which is also the time for hurricanes, which are experienced about once every two years. .
As of July 2002 the total population of Fiji was 856,346 with 46.4% residing in urban areas with the remaining 53.6% in rural areas. Fiji has a relatively young population with about 55% below the age of 25 years of age. When you look at Fiji compared to one of its neighbors Australia, with a population of 19,546,792 you can see that Fiji is not very big at all. Australia is the biggest land mass and populated area in Oceania, when compared to Fiji, Australia is big, but compared to the other world continents it is small, so on that spectrum one can see how small Fiji is.