(855) 4-ESSAYS

Type a new keyword(s) and press Enter to search

There's No Need to Smoke, If You Already Are!

            Secondhand smoke is one of the most preventable causes of death in America today. Laws, smoke free zones, and many other precautions are being taken to protect all people from secondhand smoke. While most adults have the right to breathe clean air, this is not always true for children. They have to depend on their parents to keep their air smoke-free.
             "In America over 430,000 smokers die each year from tobacco-related causes. And another 53,000 non-smokers die annually from inhaling other peoples tobacco smoke," or better known as secondhand smoke. (Secondhand community law #1) Secondhand smoke comes from two places: one, it is the smoke exhaled by a person who smokes, and two the smoke from the end of a burning cigarette. Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer and other severe health problems. "The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates, that secondhand smoke causes approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths and 35,000 heart disease deaths in nonsmokers each year." (American Lung Association 1) "Only 15% of smoke from a cigarette is inhaled by the smoker. The other 85% goes directly into the air and is known as secondhand smoke." (Passive/secondhand #1) With short-term consequences of second hand smoke you are left with problems such as irritations of the nose, eyes or throat, coughs, nausea, dizziness and major .
             headaches. (Passive/secondhand smoking #2) But long-term consequences are even more serious. "Secondhand smoke contributes to the development of lung cancer, heart disease and stroke." (Passive/secondhand smoking #3) Whether the smoke is being exhaled by someone or just coming from the end of a lit cigarette, you are still at risk from tobacco-related causes. .
             Have you ever had a friend or maybe a classmate or someone who might have pushed you into doing something you didn't want to do. If so, you have experienced peer pressure. This is how many children begin smoking.

Essays Related to There's No Need to Smoke, If You Already Are!

Got a writing question? Ask our professional writer!
Submit My Question