No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... practices to remain valid still exists. Determinism is a somewhat vague concept, so in order to make any meaningful statements I would here like to define more clearly what I take to be the meaning of the thesis of determinism. Determinism requires that everything that exists exists in the physical realm. ... will and free action, and must be careful not to confuse the two. It seems to me that free action is not a difficult concept to define and observe in the natural world. Indeed, very little is needed, I believe, for one to act freely, and free action may even be enjoyed ... will as...
... between critical thinking and decision- making, we must first define the meaning of each. This is no easy task, mainly because there is no clear cut definition for each. I will attempt to explain both, and summarize what I believe to be ... is a cognitive process. Second, we know that a decision is the act of reaching a conclusion or making up one's mind. So, to summarize and give my own definition, I would have to define it as: A cognitive process which is used by individuals to making up one's mind, or reach a conclusion. In an article published in the Business Press, Tom Hicks break...
Sometimes good people are assigned to bad lives that lead them into carrying out bad actions, but that does not define them as bad people. Johnny from The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton (a young adult fictional novel) is a 16 year old boy who comes from a broken home and is abused. Johnny finds himself ... be the same person that the other Greasers have always knowsn. Just because you did something bad, it does not mean that you are a bad person. Your actions do not define you, how you react to them does....
Descartes" Examination of a Thinking Soul In order to truly understand the nature of the human mind as asked in the course syllabus one must be able to define a thinking individual, something that Descartes attempts and succeeds in achieving. In his Letter to the Marquess of Newcastle, Descartes rejects others" belief that animals have reasoning or thoughts and devices a ... the ability to eat, talk or walk (explained further later) but rather a more complex action that incurs more complex thoughts: the capacity for linguistic activity. However, Descartes does not simply define linguistic ac...
... perspective, this is basically as question of how beliefs and concepts are formed (media, social environment, etc.) • Categorization - The easier it is to define a group, the easier it is to stereotype the members. The easy to define characteristics common to stereotypes are called primitive categories because they operate so basically, so automatically (Brewer, 1998, Fiske and Neuberg, 1990). • Kernel of ... ...
... must be defined. In the simplest form, possible definitions of what it is to think can be separated into "wide and "narrow" definitions. In the second meditation, he appears to define thinking in terms of all conscious acts when he describes a thing that thinks as "a thing that doubts, understands, affirms, denies, is willing, is unwilling and also imagines and has sensory ... cogito can be said to be a Syllogistic inference. It has been argued that Descartes provides the minor premise "I am thinking" and the conclusion "I exist" and therefore it is possible to define the major premise ...
... of issues and behaviors. All of these activities generally undertaken by management have an inherent perceptive component involved. Robbins, Millet, Cacioppe and Marsh (5) (2001) define perception as the way individuals process their respective sensory impressions in order to define their environment. In an organizational sense, Robbins and colleagues (2001) identified selective perception, stereotyping, contrast effect, projection and the halo effect, as five ... ...
... ; She implies that a friendship with both characteristics, thought and passion, will ensure that a friend does not lose her Self in the intense affection for another women. Raymond goes on to define worldliness, "the world as a sphere of public activity, where thought becomes concretized and action meaningful . The affairs and conditions of life or the state of human affairs."" As a proven fact ... lives as a woman, among women, among men, she at the same time questions the man-made world but does not dissociate from it, assimilate to it, or allow it to define her as a victim in it. She ...
One of the most significant ways in which to attempt to uncover the motives which define an individual's personality is to consider the unconscious metal processes of that person's mind. This practice, known as "Depth Psychology," is a modern psychological school of thought based largely on the ... become clear that, despite the comparable differences in the views of these two great men's perceptions of dream interpretation, both theories aid each other in their joint ongoing quest to define personality and the human awareness of self and meaning. Through their distinct methods, both psychoa...
... also proposes goals as a way of defining the self stating, "A goal is a channel into which psychic energy flows. Therefore, the self can be considered a hierarchy of goals, because the goals define what we pay attention to, and how" (267). I think this is an interesting point because it is true that you can figure out some things about a person through their aspirations ... has had an impact on myself because I am almost twenty years into my life and there are so many things I have yet to experience and I am not able to really define my self and it is that curiosity of not knowing that ...
... everyday. Lights can shine in different angels, and we see things in different shapes and forms. Holding what you thought was the shape of an object is that how we define ourselves and how we create our character??... If we were to change our ways of life and our path, do people get disappointed because of what he/she held as ... are left behind by friends, family and lovers. We are all artists and a paint book. We paint our hearts and minds with close ones' fingerprints and their colors. And we define shapes of this world with our own beliefs and thoughts. Life might be the our most de...
... 's book brings out two realistic wars in mankind: subjectivity versus objectivity and reality versus idealism. The concepts of metaphysics and physics cannot be separated in the real world. One cannot define quality from strictly a subjective or objective view as it's based on the individual, and more importantly subjectivity and objectivity cannot be completely isolated from one another. This helps to explain ... why classical and romantic thought doe reconcile in reality. Pirsig gets stuck on paradoxes as he attempts define the process of analysis. The novel clearly emphasizes that in ...
... is this something? For the reader, it can be only what they see within/as their soul or core: identity, art or maybe nature. If it were for MacEwen to define what that 'something' is then all meaning and subjectivity would lose its value, to both the reader and the poem. The potency of curiosity of what is "down there ... ...
... start to forget the small things you once knew. You may age in number and look different but a person's heart will always to be full of youth. Age does not define a person's imagination or creativity it's just a place holder to show growth. When we think of growing up we think of dying and aging fast, the story helps keep youth alive ... ...
... portrait, outside of which there is nothing...but on the other hand, it helps people to understand that reality alone counts, and that dreams, expectations and hopes only serve to define a man as a broken dream, aborted hopes, and futile expectations" (Sartre). Dom, the main character of Inception, escapes the futile world of dreams and learns to overcome his guilt. The ... ...
... someone who is mentally unstable could consider happiness as self harm, while a mentally stable person would completely disagree. This is why defining happiness is next to impossible; in order to define it you would need an agreeable parameter to what happiness is and what it is not. Because of this happiness needs to be defined individually. You can ask hundreds of ... ...
Domestic violence and abuse can happen to anyone, but sadly it is often overlooked, excused, or denied. Most define abuse as physical, but it can also be psychological. Emotional abuse can cause just as much, if not more damage. It is difficult to understand why some chose to live ... ...
... lives and how it could influence the lives of others to become more than they had ever hoped for. I wanted to show that someone elses reaction or opinion does not define the level of success I wanted to achieve, that I was in control of my own destiny and that I could promote as high as I wanted to be or choose to be stagnant ... ...
... herself and allow people in. She wanted to draw writers in with her life experiences and let people understand life through her lens. TallMountain didn't want her old life to define her. Instead of forgetting about her old life, she wanted to remember what has happened, learn from it, and build on what she had. TallMountain explored herself through the help ... ...
... that tragic anymore. I got to know myself in a whole new way, the real me and suddenly I stopped hating my body. I rejected all negative thoughts because they had no right to define me. I am more than a number, a goal, or a disease. I began building myself up and realized that there are so many people that care about me and feel so much for me ... ...
... that doesn't mean that I just blindly follow everything I'm told or read. Although rationality can fade a little within the whole of spirituality, I still think out my decisions. I believe that this helps define me today. I believe that something not to many people my age can truly and wholeheartedly say is, "I am ready to die." No, I am not suicidal, I just have complete faith in ... ...
... be careful in not assuming that Thoreau's more literal descriptions of birds and trees are inherently more natural or more empirical than Emerson's, if in doing so we continue to define the literal and the empirical in sharp contrast with a literacy of rhetoric and imagination. For example, Rochelle Johnson characterizes Thoreau's "shift away" from Emersonian metaphor, beginning around 1850, in terms ... ...
... for filming, it can certainly be programmed to know the same things we would know - the definition of a game show and the address of the building. If I was asked to define what a game show was, I bet it would be fairly close to what Watson would reply with. If I was asked where I was, I think Watson would have the same address as me ... ...
... mediation, he introduces the idea that a malignant demon" may be intentionally misleading him or that he may be dreaming, but either way he is imagining or sensing. He comes to define "I"" in paragraph 6 of his second Mediation as a thinking thing". He expands that a thinking thing" is a thing that doubts, understands, conceives, affirms, denies, wills, refuses; that imagines also, and perceives. In ... ...