No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... are all very important to the plot. But the most crucial and influential to the story is the cat. The cat first appears when the two main characters spend the night together alone. During their time together the cat tries to get in between them and their relationship representing Zeena, the wife of the main character, ... their thoughts to Zeena rather than to each other. All these feeling and thoughts might not have been brought up if it weren't for the cat. The cat is the one who brings to mind the thought of Zeena while Ethan and Mattie are at the dinner table and invokes the feeling ...
... house pets only need to listen to their master and enjoy all the things that their masters provide them, but I changed my mind when I met this intelligent cat, that clearly knows what she wants. When I was in Canada, the city that I lived named Oakville, which was peaceful and easeful. And the people who ... I chose to stay in a homestay nearby my college. The house I lived was not quite big, but sweet. I heard from the master that they had an old cat named Merry before I moved there. I was really excited, because I love cats very much. They are docile and persuadable. Fortunately, the ...
... bad to the core . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Through closets of copses Tall skeletons walk While nightshade and nettles Tangle the track . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . His wife and children Hand riddled with shot There's a hex on the cradle and death in the pot. (King 45) Her words come to life in the reader's mind and it is hard not to get an eerie feeling when one reads these ... incoherent reasoning Plath put behind her problems. All of these themes come together to form some of Plath's greatest work and truly give us look at her chaotic mind. "Flute Notes" and "The Stones" are two...
... . Color is not the only dubious characteristic; texture, and shape are also dubious. Russell uses an example of a cat to prove the existence of corporeal things. If a cat is in a room and we leave the room, when we return the cat is in a different location. The cat could of just re-manifested itself in a new location or, if it were "real", moved itself. There ... is a catch however; the cat becomes hungry when we are not in the room. If we leave a cat right after we have fed it and return hours later the ... cat is hungry again, but if the cat did not really exist then when it gets re-m...
... now she was standing on the Terrace of the Moon with Artemis, watching the body of Lisa la Giuffria, that lay there in its cradle. And she saw that the body was a dead thing, as dead as the cradle itself; it was unreal; all "material" things were unreal, shells void of meaning, geometrical abstractions, as Simon Iff had explained to her on ... ...
... probably most famous for his short stories that delve into obsession, madness, and the destruction of the human mind. In 1843 he published, "The Black Cat- and "The Tell Tale Heart."" These stories are intensely similar in many ways. Both are about domestic violence taken to a level few but Poe can ... faulting " the Fiend Intemperance - (199). As his drinking becomes more progressive, the narrator describes an increase in physical abuse of the cat and the wife. He eventually kills the cat and his beloved wife. Poe uses alcoholism to rationalize a break down in human decency in this stor...
... a lot of his misinterpreted reason's for questioning Greg. One thing that happened that started out really simple and ended up being very complicated was Greg accidentally letting Jinx, the cat, out of the house. Greg was just trying to fit in and "not make any waves,"" so to speak. When Jinx got out he didn't want to make a ... burning Pam's ex-fiance's gazebo down before it was all over, and the cat was still on the loose. To add to the Jinx crisis, Greg found a cat that he thought would pass for Jinx, but Jack found out that the neighbor actually had the cat the whole time. The whole f...
... sides as we find that his blatant criticism causes Susanna to begin to pack up and make her departure of the small town. He didn't like her to kiss the cat, to wear an anklet chain, to wear earrings that sparked an almost bohemian aura. So intoxicatingly intimidating he found her appeal and so inconspicuously he conveyed it that she had ... never been given a chance either, the story of Fuller's life was Susanna's too. The cliché is very simple 'appearances may be deceiving' for Fuller learns his lesson as he notes the existence of her soul for the first time nearing the close of the s...
... be Mrs. Bounderby, all Louisa can utter is, "You have been so careful of me, that I never had a child's dream. You have dealt so wisely with me, father, from my cradle to this hour, that I never had a child's belief or a child's fear" (63). She had been enslaved by her father's regime, yet bound herself in a loveless marriage with Bounderby, allowing her ... ...
... to guess that this state of mind arose around the time that I accepted the fact that life has a very dark side to balance out the light. Some people like to cradle themselves within their little world where they believe that life is great and the world is so nice. It isn't. This taught me that if something is too good to ... ...
... , so today, in a last attempt of being a decent human being, I will lighten my soul. Since young, I had been studying on how to train animals such as, (Dog, Cat, Parrot and Fish). I even trained a cat to be able to fight against a dog! Once I grew up, I studied Biology and Psychology specifically. At that time, I learned a lot of skills in training and curing animals. Later ... ...
... human mind are concerned, Poe puts to paper what many cannot even imagine. This is especially evident in his short stories such as "The Tell-Tale Heart- and "The Black Cat- in which the common themes are murder, insanity, and darkness. We all wonder what goes on in the mind of a person driven so far over the brink of human sanity ... very line of thinking that Poe forces one to analyze in his short stories filled with murder, insanity, and darkness. A common theme in "The Tell-Tale Heart- and "The Black Cat- is the narrator being a seemingly normal and perfectly sane person to all other...
All About Suicide Childhood for Ismael wasn't as enjoyable, nice and fun packed like it was for many kids. His lamentation started right in the cradle, being abandoned, without care. Life may seem not fair enough for little Ismael but he grew use to it in no time. Kids being kids, in his first grade he ... ...
... ultimately unexplainable to people of the common world. Twists of others ideas lead to the thought that people interpret things as signs of different meanings. One person may see a black cat crossing their path as a sign to turn around and walk the other way, and the next man may lean over to say hello and pet the ... cat thinking nothing out of the ordinary. Whiteness is an interesting idea explored in the novel. Objects of fear take on the color white to Ahab: The water crashing against the ... ...
... scholars, are about that of the world and those things contained within them. "Characteristic of Shakespeare's conception of Hamlet's universalizing mind that he should make Hamlet think first . . . entirely." (Mack. 39) Hamlet has come to terms with the fact that the world, even including his mother, is nothing but an un-weeded garden filled with evil. Hamlet's one true problem is ... and feed? A best, no more. Sure he that mad us with such large discourse, gave us not that capability and godlike reason to rust in us unused. (IV.IV.33-39) . Hamlet believes that life is useless if men d...
... five chapters and three subsections which would overlap the actual chapters. I was convinced this was the postmodern form which my work was destined to be molded into. I made pages of notes. The characters would be orphans, living in an orange grove. The right side of the stage would be dominated by a hermitage inhabited by a philosopher. My ... notes are full of phrases and guiding bits of wisdom. "Treehouse inside treehouse", "downfall of figurism", "organize at (pre?) peak?", "repeated phrases", and "a play in the form of a book containing five ... pg. 303, suggestion, things missi...
... will drive him through paranoia hell. "Was it possible they heard not? Almighty God!-no, no! They heard!-they suspected!-they knew!-they were making a mockery of my horror" (pg 39). As the three officers are chatting the heart began to bother the young man. He believes that they could hear it and that they were just toying with him. The ... now-again!-hark! louder! louder! louder! louder!-"Villains!" I shrieked, "dissemble no more! I admit the deed!-tear up the planks!-hear, hear!-it is the beating of his hideous heart"" (pg 39). The heart drives him so mad that he gives himself up to t...
... the lame uncertain curves for a little distance they suddenly commit suicide(p.158)." In other instances, the wallpaper is given the feel of an object with disturbed human characteristics. The author notes that, "there is a recurrent spot where the pattern lolls like a broken neck and two bulbous eyes stare at you upside down (p.158)." She then goes on to say " those unblinking ... the days go on, under certain circumstances, her mind is deteriorating and only can be used in it's normal capacity under certain conditions. As with a mentally ill person, the author notes on page 161 she is...
... accident, I had a very hard time remembering the simplest things. Because I had a hard time remembering, I wrote anything of importance on post-it notes and posted them all over my apartment. My mirrors, bed headboard, and refrigerator were covered with sticky notes. Some of my friends thought I was going through early Alzheimer's or that I had just completely lost it. I found this method to be ... ...
... was playing, rather than the concepts you were studying. Studying music is a valuable tool that causes test scores to improve and memory-recall in general. This happens through the moving notes in the music. When you get to a question, and you remember what song you were listening to while you were studying, you could hum or think about the song, and ... , this environment puts an emphasis on learning between students. A young jazz musician grows comfortable with asking the pianist what scale to play over what chord, or asking the drummer what notes to put a marcato on. Young students be...
... physical stimulation. Therefore it implies a mind is needed to be able to grasp the complex information associated with the concept. Like notes in a symphony, it as a whole is what gives it aesthetic pleasure. It is not stimulation caused by individual notes because if it were played in a different sequence the pleasurable effect would disappear. Being able to understand these patterns takes a mind ... ...
... they are long sometimes I read them only twice. No matter how many times I read them, I am comfortable in understanding them. As I read, I will take notes or highlight important facts, depending on the length. These highlighted areas or notes help me out tremendously while writing my paper. While I am writing these types of papers I usually take a break around every thirty minutes. I usually will ... ...
... into your short-term memory. If you want to increase your retention with the information received while in the intermediate passive phase I recommend that you quickly jot down bullet point notes and then fill in more detail when you hang-up the telephone or leave the meeting. Last summer I had an internship with General Motors. While I was in our weekly status ... plagued by mental distractions then don't make calls at that time. Your success rate will show equal to those distractions. The third step that he talks about is to take notes at all times. It is hard to write down everything ...
... had been going on for some time, and a draft in Minnesota was something people did not look forward to. Many of Tim's college friends escaped the draft with doctor's notes or chaplain notes. This was an obvious fear of death in war. Tim was officially in the draft. He did not want to go to the war for his own reasons. He ... ...