No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... proves that the act of killing the dog is not morally wrong, in and of it self. Killing the dog is wrong because of the impact it has on the way we treat other humans. Kant views our treatment of animals as reflection of the way we treat other humans. Thus, our duty is not a ... direct duty to the animal but and indirect duty because it is the consequences on society, not the animal, that make it morally wrong. 1 How does Kant come to the conclusion that animals are non-moral creatures? Kant's criterion for ... our moral obligations to animals is called the Categorical Imperative. In th...
... attain the American Dream while still holding on to one's morals? Using the premise that the American Dream embodies financial success and a comfortable life authors such as Rebecca Harding Davis and William Dean Howells recognize that financial gain is more important then morality This realistic view of the American Dream represents an accurate ... or remain poor most will make the decision to take the money no matter what the moral consequences. Therefore, attaining and keeping the American dream while retaining one's morals is only an idealistic fantasy. Realism tries to depict life ...
... -bravery In this essay I will be describing the virtue of bravery. I will first define what Aristotle thinks virtue is, explain the virtue of bravery, and then finally reflect this virtue on my personal experience in the Shaw neighborhood. Aristotle breaks down virtue into four aspects which are: a state that decides in mean, consisting in a mean, the mean relative to us, which ... killed than doing something shameful which is not of a brave person's character. The next state of so-called bravery he explains is emotion. He says that for those who act on emotion are considered are brave, ...
... to accumulate, sometimes it is brought by chance. For example, a person that wins the lottery has a lot of wealth. While achieving some of the items on the list, such as height or good birth, rely on luck, some things also require hard work. Work is defined as "something that has been accomplished through the effort, activity, or agency of a person or thing ... ...
... the life or health of the mother. [CITATION Lew13 p 163-164 l 1033 ] As you can see, abortion is defined in several different ways. Depending on what type of an abortion is had, can determine what a person would consider morally right or wrong. Some people may reference the principal of universalizability and say ... The decision to have an abortion is up to the woman in consultation with her doctor or physician. [CITATION Lew13 p 165 l 1033 ] My perspective on abortion is that it is not morally permissible unless it is to save the mother's life. To save the life of an unborn child woul...
... a victim of endless desires that never reach completion. For Aristotle the contemplative lifestyle is the best way to live. To contemplate is to reflect on one's actions, and only in reflection and habituation can they make themselves better. Aristotle associates happiness with honor, but honor is something that an ... identical with contentment. A happy person is one who leads a life in which they are content with their actions. Aristotle said that happiness is dependent on living a good life. He is a firm believer that the good life can only be met if we perform morally right actions u...
... lines 83-84), and he makes all kinds of other threats to this murderer. When, in all actuality, he is digging his own grave. Later on Oedipus realizes that he was actually the murderer of Laius and that Laius was his own father. So, after Laius died Oedipus married the queen (Laius" ... of wisdom that is signified in the play. Coincidentally, Medea is the main character in "Medea", and she was married to Jason. Jason decided later on to divorce Medea after giving her two children. He decided to marry the king Creon's daughter, Creosa, the young beautiful princess. This clearly enraged Me...
... but no religion, the danger of this is seen as the people are forced to come up with their moral codes, which often place a less important price on human life. The book, Chronicles of a Death Foretold, says that bishop hated the society. This symbolizes the lack of religion present in the society. Thus ... a result of very little religion. The people see protecting their family's honor and continuing the family name as all-important. Thus their code put it's importance on honor and the people would do anything to protect their family's honor. The same is true in William Shakespeare's "Ham...
... explore the different types of cloning available and the major issues in the cloning controversy. In order to achieve the above aim, I researched several articles on this issue, and chose four articles to base my paper on. Each of these articles will be of great use to me regarding the points I want to make in my paper. In order to be sure ... the emerging technologies of genetic engineering -- specifically, gene transplantation technologies -- whose primary purpose is to produce a child that has certain traits."" He believes that concerns of human cloning "are based on false beliefs ab...
... explore the different types of cloning available and the major issues in the cloning controversy. In order to achieve the above aim, I researched several articles on this issue, and chose four articles to base my paper on. Each of these articles will be of great use to me regarding the points I want to make in my paper. In order to be sure ... the emerging technologies of genetic engineering -- specifically, gene transplantation technologies -- whose primary purpose is to produce a child that has certain traits."" He believes that concerns of human cloning "are based on false beliefs ab...
... seems to have a different idea of what good and bad morals are, such as Aristotle, Hume, Kant, and Bentham. Aristotle's morality is based more so on virtues rather then strictly being moral. Virtue is a rational activity which is in accordance to a rational principle. Aristotle believes happiness is what all men desire ... is the difference between morality as a function of reason from morality as a matter of sentiment and passion. He believes that our morals are based on the way we feel along with the way others feel and our understanding of each of these. Reason and sentiment are said...
... the question at hand. The knowledge that I have acquired about the science dealing with the general cause and principles of things is that I must be clear on my terms. I believe that this is the most important part of Philosophy. If I attempt to answer this or any other question without a clear understanding of ... the key terms I might incorrectly analysis the question. I can not deal with the general cause and principles of things if I"m not clear on their exact meaning. I have also acquired knowledge about others personal attitude. I have learned that there are many different Philoso...
... the potential to corrupt a person, because it may cause he/she to lose sight of basic moral values. Gatsby acts immorally in order to achieve the American dream. Gatsby first begins his pursuit to accumulate wealth after getting rejected by the love of his life Daisy. It seems as though Gatsby's pursuit of wealth stems purely from his ... and steadfast desire allows Gastsby to justify his immoral actions in obtaining his wealth. He feels that just like every other American, he has the right to obtain the American dream, and may go through any means to attain in. Therefore, he essential...
... logic as Aristotle understood the subject. The five others deal with types of reasoning that fail to meet Aristotle's requirements of scientific analogy (O"Conner 39). Other very influential aspects of Aristotle's work are his ideas on ethics and politics. The philosopher believes that ethical theory is a field distinct from the sciences. Aristotle conceives ethical theory as a field distinct from ... put our accommodate our understanding of well being in varying situations (1). God is the ultimate final cause. Aristotle wrote a work entitled, On the Heavens where he portrayed his studi...
... at Hailsham hinders their initiative to change their own fates. The lack of their free will to make independent choices is shown by the example of Ruth not completing her dream of working in an office setting. It appears that in the world created by Ishiguro, the society controls the fates of the clones. They're bound to be organ donors ... ...
... pearl. He has learned at a great cost that happiness has little to do with wealth or materialism. The irony of The Pearl is that material things that you could never dream of having in your life can lead to unimaginable misery and to ruined and wasted lives. So, to what extent will the poor go to become the rich, and at ... ...
... is through the unknowing villagers, and the third way is through the narrator's grandfather, Franz Brucher. The Baleks lived a very high-class life, a life that only the other villagers could dream of. Because they retained such a high status in society for so long, the Baleks were able to get away with any wrong doing. No one ever questioned the law that ... ...
... can compose a speech to the media and the shareholders of the hospital administration. Chris has a few problems to work out first he is rusty on the financial issues and has a time constraint placed upon him for compiling the necessary information requested by Pat. The Administrative Assistant, according to Chris ... Once he uncovers the causes, he can proceeded with the recommendations in which a simple outline of cause, effect and solution should suffice for the notes which Pat needs to make his speech in front of the media and shareholders. Problems Various interpretations of the m...
... handsome man and forming a relationship will I be happy, since society will find him fit. According to Plato society "cannot make a man either wise or foolish: they act wholly random." (P to D p.39 line 44d) That means that society has an ever changing opinion and acts randomly therefore chance can not be taken in order to find happiness. What today they may consider ... happiness tomorrow may not be the same. The purpose of finding good in this relationship will change since it is based on society's opinion. When Socrates was found in prison he was happy and not by chance. Socrates was...
... it to the best of my ability to protect myself from any harm. Another strong belief that I have is about cheating. If I had the chance to cheat on a test I would not do it. I feel that I am in school to learn and to plan my future. Cheating off someone's test would not help me ... I missed and what I needed to study more, than to cheat. There are four reasons why we should behave justly. 1) To avoid punishment. (Benko, notes) If we behave unjustly we will soon be punished for those acts and most human beings don't like to be punished in any way. People will kill ... live a public life an...
... it to the best of my ability to protect myself from any harm. Another strong belief that I have is about cheating. If I had the chance to cheat on a test I would not do it. I feel that I am in school to learn and to plan my future. Cheating off someone's test would not help me ... I missed and what I needed to study more, than to cheat. There are four reasons why we should behave justly. 1) To avoid punishment. (Benko, notes) If we behave unjustly we will soon be punished for those acts and most human beings don't like to be punished in any way. People will kill ... live a public life an...
... problem arises out of the simple fact that Janet Moore needs a job. Considering the fact that any position within Union Tobacco, Inc. does not even come close to being her dream job, Janet must realize that this may be her only job opportunity forthcoming. The one benefit of this job would be that Janet might be able to help put a stop ... marketing history of Union Tobacco, Inc. she was appalled to learn of their practices. Janet Moore seems like a person who is concerned with the world around her and is focused on establishing herself doing what she loves. She is not only concerned wi...
... about? This being the case what is morality for one that seeks only money to be happy? The reason behind it? or should we quiestion society for putting such a emphasis on materialistic things?Creating greed and selfishness Therefor is our society immoral as a whole and if it is why is it the society that critisizes and judges humans as immoral ... ? Notes and Ideas: Is the nature of our happiness what brings us pleasure, all forms : physica,l mental spiritual? Working draft: The study of Morality and ethics underlining principle tell us that ... ...
... life. Then, one day, I saw her talking with other friends about me. I could not believe in my ears at that time. I wish I had been deaf. I wondered if it had been a dream. I heard that she told the other friend that she just wanted to take advantage of me because I always did everything to make her happy. She also told them that I was ... people since I know that a good argument will bring me a lot of valuable thing which I cannot learn from school. For instance, I recently had an argument with my partner when we worked on a group assignment. She had her own point of view and so did I. ...