No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... -bitten waifs without food or shelter or good coats and there was no food or shelter or good coats to give them. Nothing to offer them but the war and a cold, slow death. There were more children than adults now, and the adults were about war and there were only a few like myself there to help them. One of the few ... not another word until the middle of the night when I drifted into sleep momentarily, for all my sleep was momentary, and opened my eyes to the lamp light and the cold hospital air. I pulled a Kleenex from the box beside my bed and coughed blood into it. "You are getting be...
... the advice from men from Sulphur Creek, who advised it was potentially hazardous to travel alone. He had false confidence in himself. For example, despite the dangerously cold temperatures, he did not take necessary precautions when he built his first crucial fire. Then, when he realized his mistake, he didn't realize how serious it ... his excess self-confidence for the trek. Also, throughout his entire journey, the man concentrated on how cold it was around him. He constantly decided how cold it was and how he didn't like to be as cold as he was. Inevitably, the psychological factors ...
... conceived, it haunted me day and night" (pg 36). "I think it was his eye! yes, it was this! One of his eyes fell upon me, my blood ran cold; and so by degrees-very gradually-I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye for ever" (pg 36). It ... is here when the author first shares what is driving the young man and proves he is going insane; the eye, in his mind it made a cold calculated man out of himself, a once caring tender young man the old man had known. The young man believes that the eye physically turned his blood ... cold. Humans are all war...
... as if it were coming from outside, so I ran as fast as my soft smoke covered slippers would carry me. Down the long steep stairs and outside I went onto the cold, dew covered front lawn. I found the rest of my family standing along with my neighbors and friends doused in their night attire. I stood and watched in horror as the ... old just learning to speak his first words. She calmly told me to relax, slow down, and sit at the table. In doing so, she gave me a nice ice-cold glass of water, and seeing me distressed, sat down next to me and non-chalantly asked me what was on my mind. Takin...
... first sentence is broken into small lines so that the reader pauses at the end of each line. "The first time I walked/With a girl, I was twelve,/Cold, and weighted down/With two oranges in my jacket."(lines 1-4) Each end has a concrete word to give signifigance to the phrase, such as walked, twelve, and jacket ... to note that the month is December, because the significance of having oranges in the winter is rare and or expensive. Although cold outside, the boy is not concerned about the cold, as his heart is warmed with the thought of his walk with the girl. Soto's use of informal dictat...
... and autumn set in with rain and an unseasonal frost at night. When I put gloves on the baby, she chewed them and had to sit in her pram with cold, wet hands. I did not mind for myself, but I did not know how to keep her warm. She dribbled too and her chest was always damp. She ... resisted for some time but in the end she caught a cold. I did not know what to do with her, as I hated going to the doctor. I had thought I would be finished with doctors at her birth, though I subsequently ... comfort and duty, and moreover it was not even my own health that was in question, but Octavia's, an...
... dog's instincts, Jack London demonstrates the man's lack of experience in Yukon. Instincts that tell the dog it is too cold to travel and learned behavior that make the dog wander why is his master not building a fire when is this cold. The Yukon man was warned about such escapades but he chose to ignore it. At last, all that could go ... under the thin layer of snow and ice he stepped in one and got wet. Unlike Ivan Illich, the Yukon man goes from a self-confidant man with little regard for cold, to someone accepting his death in the matter of hours. Ivan Illich, on the other hand stru...
... to Alaska to live like the Eskimos. In order for me to 'fit' in I would have to hcnage my way of thinking about cold, food, housing, transporation and clothing. This would be a radical change for me because I hate cold weahter. Due to the food sources avaiable I would need to change my eating habits, to include much more fish. My house would no ... longer have flowers growing in front, I owuld be forced to adhere to the cold climate of a house. Transporatation would probably not be something I owuld be allowed to take part in since I would not know the first thing about driving a dog sl...
... function is an algorithm that measures the chess position. Positions with positive values are good for "White" and positions with negative values are good for "Black" (IBM Research - Deep Blue - Overview). Here is where I think that human has the upper hand while playing chess with an artificial intelligence. Human chess players use their skills, judgment and previous experiences to decide about ... ...
... function is an algorithm that measures the chess position. Positions with positive values are good for "White" and positions with negative values are good for "Black" (IBM Research - Deep Blue - Overview). Here is where I think that human has the upper hand while playing chess with an artificial intelligence. Human chess players use their skills, judgment and previous experiences to decide about ... ...
... function is an algorithm that measures the chess position. Positions with positive values are good for "White" and positions with negative values are good for "Black" (IBM Research - Deep Blue - Overview). Here is where I think that human has the upper hand while playing chess with an artificial intelligence. Human chess players use their skills, judgment and previous experiences to decide about ... ...
... nothing more than a simple time consuming source of entertainment. This is before the monster has grasped you tightly within it's claws. It only takes one time, one fix, one experimental overview, or one opportunity to become exposed. Primary contact to the machine might come as subtle as just simply picking up a controller in a local wholesale store, or at a friends house, but ... ...
... rifle which is designed to kill people, I just don't see the reason." 30. What was the global impact of the collapse of USSR and the end of the cold war? "It certainly took the cold war tensions down a little bit, on the other hand I haven't really thought of it like that. You could get some guys that say were not going down ... and try something drastic and cause a huge problem in world affairs. There were many new countries formed, and economies started to shoot off again. Without the cold war going that world ... ...
... close to the fire to get warm, close enough to not get burn.) It does not know the thermometers, but it can feel the cold and by experience it knows that not safe to travelling by the extremely cold (fifty below under zero.) It know to bite out the ice after his leg get wet, and it know to takes off down ... ...
... others "rules" and "pity", with no hope that a woman will ever look at his shattered self again. "How cold and late it is!" The wounded soldier cant do anything about the cold, he has to wait for others to help him. The repetition of the question in the last lines "why don't they come?" ... ...
... a female drill sergeant ordered us off the bus and into formation outside. "Hurry the hell up, privates! We're about to see the weak from the super weak!" Cold drops of rain splashed on my cheeks and nose as I ran off the bus and made my way to formation, which at a quick glance looked well over 200 recruits. I noticed ... ordered to, "remove our mask and recite our last name and last four digits of your social and exit the chamber. I exited the gas chamber as fast as I could. Cold wet snot dripped from all of our noses and tears rushed from our faces. That was my picture perfect moment...
... important explanation to note is the difference between being an idea and being the opposite of an idea. For example, "heat- is an idea and "cold- is simply the lack of heat. The idea of "cold- is dependent on the idea of "heat-. Now Descartes has established the rules by which to lay down his argument. He then explains that he knows ... ...
... important explanation to note is the difference between being an idea and being the opposite of an idea. For example, "heat- is an idea and "cold- is simply the lack of heat. The idea of "cold- is dependent on the idea of "heat-. At this point Descartes has established the rules by which to lay down his argument. He then explains that ... ...
... important explanation to note is the difference between being an idea and being the opposite of an idea. For example, "heat- is an idea and "cold- is simply the lack of heat. The idea of "cold- is dependent on the idea of "heat-. At this point Descartes has established the rules by which to lay down his argument. He then explains that ... ...
... think about what would be best for the baby, "I can't really pay for a room, and I wouldn't even bother you, except I've got a child out in that car that's wet and cold and looking to find pneumonia if I don't get it to bed someplace warm" (Kingsolver, 29). When Taylor had pleaded for a room, it was really for Turtle, she even admitted that ... she would not have even stopped if she did not have the child. That was a sign of selflessness, because she is thinking about how cold the baby must have been. She also helped around the motel they stayed in, "I had stayed on at the Broken Arrow ...
... closets. So of the secrets that he was hiding played into why he lost the election. John shows himself to be the perfect man but inside is a dark and ice cold place. There are many different character traits to which John Wade wants you to think he is and whom he really is inside. When I first realized John was not like ... see how the lake is black and red. The lake is never ending just like the story. The wilderness is a mystery just like story. Also the woods are dark and cold like John. The setting also helps him to look guilty. That he pick a cottage is a deserted place where there...
... seem out of place with his "high" life. First of all, he is a mixed breed. Need I say more on that subject? His love of exercise hardens his muscles, and "the cold-tubbing races, the love of water had been a tonic and a health preserver." This is no delicate creature who sits around like some kind of pansy. The other dogs, a Japanese pug ... human than dog as this story progresses. One of the most remarkable and human traits of Buck is his control over his emotions. He experiences sensation and transforms it into cold, logical response. This is not to say that he acts without passion an...
... hearted and polite. All three of my friends departed for school that morning with smiles on their faces and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The forecast for today was cold during the morning and rising temperatures in the afternoon. School went by slow and boring as usual for every kid on the planet. As the day went school seemed to ... started to get dangerous it had been about 5 min of struggling and battling gravity. Hypothermia was not far away. Amazingly they managed to get the child's backpack off his freezing cold body. Pulling him out of the water my one friend started to fall ...
... behavior, and I was disappointed with the ending, though I am not sure what I would have preferred. In closing, I believe that because Meursault was so passive, he was always thought of being cold and uncaring. Camus's character was never really known by anyone. He was the Stranger. His passive ... ...