Immigration is a complex subject with many pros and cons. Except for Native Indians, every family in the U.S. has immigrants in their ancestry. Immigrants are a large part of our society and add diversity to our society. Without immigrants our country would not be what it is today.
First I will start with the pros of immigration.
• Immigration gives people come from a suppressed country a chance for a new start in their lives. It also gives them a clear picture of what they do not want America to be.
• Immigrants can contribute to our society. If only one immigrant can produce something remarkable, then it will have served an entire generation of them. For example, Hotmail was created by an Indian immigrant, which set the stage for the internet boom.
• Immigrants fill a great deal of the jobs that Americans do not want. Immigrants are willing to work for lower wages, which can lower the price of products we buy, by providing a lower overhead to businesses.
• Immigration brings a cultural diversity to the United States, which gives Americans an understanding of other cultures. It can expand businesses to other fields in the world.
• Many immigrants send money outside the U.S., which helps boost the economy of other countries.
Now I will talk about the cons of immigration.
• Eventually there will not be enough land to hold the increased population that immigration causes. If immigration is to go on unchecked we could turn into a third world country.
• If all of the skilled workers from other countries come to the United States, there will not be enough skilled workers in the countries they immigrated from to give them a chance to build it up.
• Illiterate and poor Immigrants that come to this country lower the GPA (Gross Domestic Product) and standard of living. This attracted them to this country in the first place.