Reviewing Key Terms - On a sheet of paper, use each of these terms in a sentence.
Conquistador- A conquistador is another word for a conqueror.
2. Presidio- The Spanish people built forts that they called presidios.
3. Hidalgo- The conquistadors were low-ranking nobles known as hidalgos.
4. Encomienda- The encomienda system was a way to reward the men that had defeated the Aztec. .
5. Hacienda- The haciendas covered thousands of acres.
6. Vaquero- The vaqueros herded the cattle. .
7. Northwest Passage- King Francis I sent Giovanni da Verrazano to map North America's coastline and to find the Northwest Passage. .
8. Coureurs De Bois- Coureurs de bois were fur traders that lived among the Native American. .
9. Puritan- Puritans were people who objected the Catholic rituals. .
10. Joint-Stock Company- A joint-stock company founded Virginia. .
11. Privateer- To assist the Dutch revolt, Queen Elizabeth allowed English privateers to attack Spanish ships. .
12. Burgesses- The representatives of the new Virginia government were called burgesses. .
13. Headright- To entice new settlers to Virginia, the system of headrights was introduced. .
14. Proprietary Colony- Baltimore owned Maryland, making it England's first proprietary colony.
15. Separatist- The separatists were a group of Puritans. .
16. Pilgrim- In 1620, the pilgrims arrived in Massachusetts. .
17. Heretic-A Heretic is a person whose religious beliefs differ from those accepted by the majority. .
18. Pacifism- My mother told me that the word pacifism is the belief in a peaceful resolution. .
Reviewing Key Facts .
Francisco Pizarro- Francisco Pizarro was a Spanish army captain.
John Cabot- John Cabot was an Italian navigator that hoped to find a western route to Asia. John Cabot also explored North America's coastline for England in 1497.
Walter Raleigh- Walter Raleigh was an English courtier, navigator, colonizer, and writer.
William Bradford- William Bradford was an English Puritan colonist in America.