Thesis statement: Christopher Columbus made a great change in history because he found the.
â€œNew Worldâ€ which later became known as the Americas.
I. Christopher Columbus made four important voyages to the Americas.
A. October 12, 1492.
1. Landed ships in Guananhani, an island in the Bahamas.
2. Claimed land naming it San Salvador.
3. Landed in Cuba and Espanola, which were mistakenly believed to be in Asian.
B. September of 1493.
1. Landed on the island of Dominica, Guadeloupe, and Antigua.
2. Closest he came to the U.S. was Puerto Rico which was supposedly the.
3. Looked over the island of Jamaica.
C. May 30, 1948.
1. Landed in Trinidad on July 31st.
2. Sighted Venezuela.
3. Arrived in Santo Domingo only to find chaos and revolt.
a. Sent home in irons by a newly appointed governor.
b. Appealed to the irons, and was pardoned, but was not allowed to return.
to Espanola as governor.
1. Prohibited from stopping in Espanola- was given ships in poor condition to set.
sail on another voyage.
2. Cruised along the coast of Central America for six months.
3. Landed in Panama- establishing a temporary settlement there, then sailed back.
to Espanola, but did not make it past Jamaica.
a. The ships needed repair, but help wouldnâ€™t come for another year,.
which was done on purpose. .
4. Help came for him and his crew on June 28, 1504 and headed back for Spain.
II. Columbus was enabled many privileges before almost being forgotten.
A. Privileges for expansion of trade.
1. Appointed Admiral of the Ocean Sea.
2. Brought back many products unknown to Europe and was greatly appreciated.
a. Coconuts .
b. Tobacco .
c. Sweet corn .
e. Tales of dark-skinned people whom he called â€œnativesâ€.
3. Awarded ten percent of any new wealth.
4. 1493- granted Coat of Arms.
B. Almost forgotten.
1. Columbus and other people were unaware of his discovery of the Americas.