No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... different corners of the United States was becoming much more widely appreciated. Along with the committed involvement in the Vietnam War, the United States was gripped with fear from the Cold War, leaving citizens wondering what might come of nuclear warfare. Therefore, appreciating the smaller, less dense aspects of life became easier. Scofield points out that while the coast of Maine ... divided in their opinions, regardless of the conservative or liberal influence in their beliefs. Because of this the citizens of the United States were often at odds. With little to agree upon, Ameri...
... ideas on whether the mind is passive or active. To Kant the problems with Hume's empiricism is that he believed that our thoughts came from objects and therefore we must agree with what our senses give us, Kant revolutionised this idea by saying that our mind changes the objects when we perceive them, and that therefore when thinking about knowledge we ... do any thinking about the world at all. He based this on the ideas of Descartes who believed that a lot of what we experience is made up, for example on a cold winter's day when you look out of a window, you do not see people walking ...
... Hobbes ideas are correct and in fact should be lived by. Locke and Hobbes show that in their two outlooks on the state of nature that they do indeed agree on some points. When speaking about the state of nature both Locke and Hobbes address the dangers that do occur. That when it come's to both of ... type of state of nature is the reason why people would side with Locke's view. People who don't agree with the idea of government or someone who controls and makes decisions for others as a whole would most likely side and agree with Locke's view on the state of nature. Also because people ...
... in life is to live happily. Although he does not acknowledge man's irrational side, Mills offered a proposal of allowing everyone to express their opinion. I agree that the more opinions society has to consider, the better decision it will make when the time comes to implement a change in society. The philosopher Huxley ... philosopher Nietzsche is in a class of his own; his critique of society is very negative and pessimistic. I see his point of view, and I do agree that society impedes upon man's natural impulses, but I cannot fathom living in a world that was led by human's natural imp...
... were overlooked. The two different positions allows the reader to be provoked into a thought process that can be quite convincing on both sides of the argument but I would tend to agree with Locke's more empirical approach to the argument. Descartes" process throughout the meditations to eliminate forms of knowledge or modes of gaining knowledge by finding grounds for doubt leads him ... Descartes and Locke, for me, begins to blur. In reading the writings of both Descartes and Locke I found that I agreed with parts of both pieces and disagreed with others. I would agree with Locke and s...
... others "rules" and "pity", with no hope that a woman will ever look at his shattered self again. "How cold and late it is!" The wounded soldier cant do anything about the cold, he has to wait for others to help him. The repetition of the question in the last lines "why don't they come?" ... ...
... as transformers of that world.(Freire, 2)". Freire believes that students must be able to see that what they learn in the classroom can help them change the world. I completely agree with Freire's argument and believe that education should provide tools and practice in critical thinking for students rather than absolute answers. In order for education to really matter and make ... a two sided one. The students should maintain the respect that they have always shown for their teachers, but also not be afraid to share their viewpoints, whether or not they agree to the teachers, and never ...
... have some relevance in their speech. With his definitions, Descartes is able to weed out animals and include all types of humans, no matter what their disability or hindrance. I personally agree with Descartes in that only humans are able to effectively have a reasonable conversation with some relevance but do have some reservations against the ability for language is the only sign ... of a creature with thoughts. In regards to Descartes belief that the capacity for linguistic activity is the sole indication of a thinking individual, I somewhat disagree. I do, however, agree that it is ...
... states that Knowledge of virtue is wisdom, it goes beyond theoretical understanding of justice/ right or wrongs & includes living justly, living honourably & well in the highest sense (127). Like Socrates, I agree that knowledge plays an influential role on an individual's behaviour and personality. For instance, one may feel that he is more wiser than anyone else because he has more expertise ... we know much more than we do 2. All human knowledge is tentative and limited: we are not gods, though we sometimes act as if we were (122). Like Socrates, I also agree that all human knowledge...
... first turning our attention to the color of the basketball. To the eye it is a dark orange that is decorated with surrounding black lines. Anyone who sees the ball will agree with the description so that it might as if no problem would occur; but as soon as I try to be more precise difficulties begin. Although I believe that the basketball is ... the basketball. From a close up front view the ball looks round and has a certain circumference. If anyone else were to look at the ball from the same perspective they would agree that it is round and that it holds a certain circumference.We ar...
It has been said that a great man cannot be overly cautious. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement? Support your point of view with examples from your observation, experience, reading, or study of history. Concerning whether or not a great man can be overly ... central bank president - is was extremely cautious with his words each time he disclosed any of the Bank's decisions. Otherwise misunderstandings could occur causing damages to the country's economy. I partly agree with the saying, for the current pace of life demands speed in decision making. However, there will...
... making this plan for insurance on human health, the insurance agencies are making trillions upon trillions of dollars on people who would usually skip going to the doctor for a common cold. Initially, the insurance policies were made to help in emergency situations for people who had a broken a leg, or had to have major surgery and could not afford the price of ... ...
... . Thus, mental development is not multidirectional, but progresses in an upward direction only. An illustration of this is an infants schema about toys transforming from basic sensory input eg, hard, cold, inedible, to a young child's schema of "truck, driving, motor sounds". Both of these theorists believed that mental development is multidimensional. It is effected by a combination of biological, psychological and social ... ...
... of 'meaningful message' through their music, judging from the relatively long instrument-playing time they impose on themselves. The voice of Dave Matthew's was kind of hypnotic. I could also agree with that Dave Matthews Band's songs are highly poetic because I found those metaphors used in the lyrics were appreciable. However, I could not see the meaningful messages the song 'Don ... ...
... this reflected a person who was fighting for her personhood in very difficult circumstances. In turn, it highlighted how important a life with dignity and autonomy is to self-awareness and personhood. I agree with Dossey and Keegan's (2009) explanation that respecting patient dignity is about acknowledging the person as physical, emotional, social and spiritual beings. In turn, when Johnstone (2009) raises the importance ... ...
... to be Virtuous is to function as best as they can, and to use our special ability as humans to be even more virtuous. To conclude my statement I have to agree and disagree with Aristotle's statement, that for human beings to be virtuous we need our main function needs to be to do good. However where I have to disagree, is how ... ...
... acceptance of the said claim. In any given scenario, our strongest of feelings and convictions about a given subject is not enough to dissuade or convince anybody else to conform or agree with our argument. It requires that our audience is met with the very reasoned and thoughtful arguments bearing in mind that they meet the threshold, just like being earnest is ... ...
... how to let it control them. Understanding the complex world is important but, but learning how to actively involved in delivering conscious value is more important than the culture itself. I agree with Rand and Singer's perception of how the modern day society is often reluctant to show that the society itself is often responsible for the choices and actions that people ... ...
... will, he and Frankfurt can acknowledge that reason is an instrument for the will to put into action, and not the primary source of action for the person. These philosophers agree that effective desires motivate one to act and that to increase one's enjoyment and to lessen the pain, one employs reason to sort through the desires to find value in ... ...
... peers after 7th grade (let's not forget that communist Cuba who most Americans despise has the highest literacy rate in the world). He believes reading nurtures the thought process and I agree. He also advocates a decrease in discipline and security - this is in accordance with the belief that schools are educational institutes, not "minimum-security prisons." The final change he mentions is ... ...
... other forms of communication that are rational, logical and are done without any heart. Passion and madness are both two serious things I believe, both Socrates and Bill Parish seem to agree with me too. Truth, support, discussion are important Socrates argues, but a man who could speak about knowledge and truth, obtains his title from the pursuit of such things; a pursuit that ... ...
... , and filled with the best people." This analogy further emphasizes the beginning of the article that stated that Americans thought they were better off than they actually are. In closing, I agree with the end of the article that serves as a good motivation for many by saying that we need to be very growth oriented and not always be permanently divided by ... ...
... the characters makes for a lengthy and tedious story line. Yet the manner is which the poem is written is well organized and allows for easy reading and following. Although I don't agree to the way woman are presented as beauty objects or as being in superior to men and even though I had a hard time relating to the characters yet I did however find ... ...