No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... my locker upstairs just as the high pitched bell rang for the beginning of class. "Shit!" I mumble under my breath. My stomach twists until I begin to feel nauseous, first day of school and I'm already going to be tardy. It wasn't long before the high pitched bell alerted the arrival of lunch. After grabbing the bag with the food my ... planned on finding a place to sit where I wouldn't be too noticed. "Hey Kat!" I hear a guy's voice call behind me. Whipping my head around in attempt to find the first person who had spoken to me all day, I see a guy waving at me. "Uh hey." I say wearily...
It was my 13th birthday when I bought my first guitar. It was a Sisonics black electric. I bought it off one of my best friends, Tom for $32. It was probably the best thing I have ever done with my life. It ... opened up new things into my world and I realized I had a great talent. Playing guitar is a passion I have that I never want to lose. At first I thought it was too hard, and with what little patience I have, I was always getting angry thinking I sucked. But as I got older and put more time and effort into it I realized ... and I went outside a few days later, and smashed my Sisonics ...
... game, and now I'm getting bored! I hear footsteps!. "All-right!," My brother's are home.! "Willie!," "I'm upstairs and ready to win!" He won't answer me! Maybe, he went to go see mom first. Several minutes have passed, now I hear him coming up the stairs. My back is turned, so I can't see him until he comes around the corner. "I have the game all ready ... on let's play!". Still no answer. I look up, expecting to see my brother. I now see four very large men, in plain clothes with guns drawn looking down at me!. My first thoughts are, "Who are these men, and what are they doing here?." ...
... programs in California and the decrease of women and minorities in the workforce and business granted contracts. In order to understand why proposition 209 has drastically affected California one must first understand affirmative action. Affirmative action was born of the civil rights movements about three decades ago, affirmative action called for minorities and women to be given special consideration in ... 209 made it illegal to consider race or gender in admissions, the number of African Americans in the freshman class dropped 51%, Chicano/Latinos dropped 43%, and American Indians f...
... National Restaurant Association conducted a survey in 1996 that showed more than 62% of all Americans choose smoke-free restaurants over ones that allow smoking. A 1996 Angus Reid poll found that 39% of people would eat at a smoke-free restaurant more often, 46% said they wouldn't change their normal habits, and 16% said they would eat out less often. Some restaurants are ... as well as business. Based on sales receipts from restaurants in New York City, researchers found that sales have actually risen two percent since January of 1995, when the ban first went into effect. The studies s...
... Joads had to leave their farm after being evicted. The bad farming conditions ruined their crops, and therefore, they did not have enough money to withhold their land. (French 34-39) Along with many other migrants at the time, they traveled to California in search for a better life, where they could obtain new jobs and provide for their family. However, it ... their search for work, and attempting as much as possible to come to terms with these people's essential characteristics. Leaving them, he made several trips to various camps to observe first-hand the living and working conditions...
... or without back pay. Affirmative action is a way to redress past grievances. Chronicle of Higher Education. "Using Class Rank: Who Makes It and Who Doesn't." Chronicle of Higher Education 46.39 (2000) A research article conducted using two high schools in California and Florida to show how using class rank as automatic admittance into state universities is not the best plan. The ... idea from that which came from the original Civil Rights Act of 1964. If we want to promote equality, than there are two ways we can do so. We can first try to only honor people on their merit rather than ra...
... in that sense. Getting a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, getting hired on by a police agency, and moving out of my parents' house are my three main goals. To begin, my first goal is to get my bachelor's degree is criminal justice from the University of Nevada, Reno. One of the reasons why this is an important goal for me to accomplish ... ...
... for land, and gold. In California, after the discovery of gold in1848 native Indian populations of northern California began to disappear by the massive upheavals that followed. When the Spaniards first came to the area many years before the local native populations thrived. They numbered as many as 300,000 in that region of the country, but by the time of ... ...
... of us really go out of our way to change things for the better. We as a society act on negative situations rather than preventing the bad from happening in the first place. Based on these facts, we need to help the agriculture businesses out financially so we can help mother earth. Because if we don't step up and pay the miniscule ... ...
... that students most likely cannot join clubs and organizations because they hold meetings during class times. This started out as a personal trouble. I did not feel as though I was lying at first, but I was not being honest which goes against my moral standards. This soon became a public issue as more and more students and parents called in to discuss the program. I have ... ...
... from the 2000 Presidential elections and 2004 Primaries in Michigan. There are major social issues that people have the right to be concerned about when it comes to online voting. First, people have developed confidence in the current system of voting because it's visible and they can actually see what they are doing. When the system is easily understood, people know ... ...
... the job of consuming waste material and removal of nitrogen the water flows to this secondary clarification where a small amount of aluminum sulfate is introduced as the water leaves. Water first enters the plant at the headworks where it receives heavy mechanical screening. Bar rake screens trap large debris and screen wastewater. The water then leaves the headworks and flows into ... ...
... controversy over capital punishment. In October of 1994, a judge in a California state court ruled that the gas chamber is a form of cruel and unusual punishment (Murphy). This account was the first ruling ever by a state or federal judge to invalidate a method of execution. The judge noted that the condemned might remain conscious for several minutes after the beginning of the execution ... ...
... high school graduates go to college in California. Also, shutting down health clinics is a huge mistake. Health clinics are for the public when they need medicine, shots to prevent diseases, first aid, or other treatment. Health is a very important factor. If California closed off these health clinics, then good health will not be available to the public. The Californians were disgusted ... ...
... right to an excellent education. As of July 24, 2003 California voters are supporting the Racial Privacy Initiative by a 50% to 29% margin and 21% are undecided. The July poll first asked voters whether or not they had seen, read or heard anything about the initiative. The survey found that just 25% of likely voters reporting some prior knowledge of it ... ...
... 36 students who took the survey, 24 agreed that most teens in high school are sexually active, only 10 disagreed, and 2 were unsure. -"Most teenagers (75% to 86%) have their first sexual intercourse between the ages of 15-20. III. Condoms must be distributed to America's public high schools. A. September 1997 study in Chicago and New York found that making condoms ... ...
... get in with a 2.0 if your standardized test scores were good. Priority is also given to community college students just like a UC. As long as a community college student has completed the first two years of a bachelor's degree program and to students whose high school course work made them eligible. CSU offers teacher credentialing programs and master's degrees in many areas. The last ... ...
... at prevailing prices -- with no special discounts for themselves. This bill transferred pricing charged by the generator (state) to the federal government, which is now in charge of regulating. At first, the California Power Exchange (private, non-profit organization) which was run by utilities coordinated the sales. They would buy and resell power for the California consumers as mandated by AB ... ...
... , or using excessive force. The law should read, " Any officer accused by a citizen and two other witnesses of using excessive force, will be suspended without pay for thirty days, for a first time offense. For a repeated offense the officer will be subjected to a court hearing in which a jury will decide his/her fate." The jury could decide on another suspension for the ... ...
The California Gold Rush had many effects on the American people, westward expansion, the environment, economy and Indian relations ultimately affecting the world as a whole. When John Marshall first found gold in January 1848 at Sutter's Mill, word got out and people really did confirm their findings of gold and plenty of it that the "rush" began. It was ... ...
... could take this matter into is own hands once again and fix it. His proposed plans are heading in the right direction towards curing the budget crisis. One of his first steps in lowering the deficit is the spending cuts, which is a good start. If Davis is recalled and another candidate is elected, there are a few that seem to be fit ... ...
... . Arriving in California was overwhelming and a bit shocking. I had never seen so many people in my life, and for once I was not a minority. Driving in the states was difficult at first. On the island we have no Freeways, and at the most roads consist of two lanes. The highest speed limit on Guam is 40mph. Here in California driving 40 mph ... ...
... controversy over capital punishment. In October of 1994, a judge in a California state court ruled that the gas chamber is a form of cruel and unusual punishment (Murphy). This account was the first ruling ever by a state or federal judge to invalidate a method of execution. The judge noted that the condemned might remain conscious for several minutes after the beginning of the execution ... ...