No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... war. Tim was officially in the draft. He did not want to go to the war for his own reasons. He thought it was evil, and it was the wrong war to fight. He thought people were dying in Vietnam for no reason. To ease his mind, he tried to reassure himself that the war would ... going to the war. His thoughts went as far as exiling himself with no cares. Canada looked better and better to him everyday although it was only a thought. In basic training, Tim met many men ready to go to war. He also made some good friends, like Erik. They had the same feelings toward the ... Vietnam to a landing...
... 't live there. I remember when Truman integrated the army in 48" , but until that time the units would segregated. When the army was integrated I thought that there would be too many problems. In fact there were few problems and everything worked for the best. Then martin Luther King came along and with ... to slip into, but so hard to shake it." 6. What was your reaction to the activism of Black Muslims or Black Panthers such as Malcolm X? " I thought they were a people with a good cause but not a peaceful means, and through those means made more people hate them. That isn't the way an...
... to protest against the cruelty the United States was supporting in the Diem regime, and the South Vietnamese government. The South Vietnamese government thought that the Buddhist groups had been infiltrated by communists and politically aggressive people. Kennedy responded by agreeing to help overthrow the Diem regime out ... returned from Vietnam in 1963, he and Kennedy agreed that an announcement should be made on the subject of withdrawn troops from Vietnam. The public thought that Kennedy wanted had intentions to carry on the war in Vietnam. This was good because Kennedy wanted the ...
... north began a movement to end it. Even many of the white Southerners who did not own slaves supported slavery in the south. They thought that the South would collapse without slavery and that the blacks were inferior to the whites. The south depended on slavery to support their ... division between the north and south began in Colonial times and resulted from the geographical differences of the land. In the south colonial settlers thought that the warm climate and rich soil was ideal for growing tobacco. They quickly established a country way of life tat had an agricultural ... slavery q...
... [the then CIA director] Allen Dulles said sometime before the invasion that we were a political disposal problem (Contreras 72)."" Before the invasion took place, Director Dulles shows how little he thought of the brigade. Dulles displays the same attitude during the investigation: Statement: Without training and instruction, they would never have gone guerilla. Dulles: I wouldn't wholly buy that. These people had ... not sacrificing American men he did not care. At the veterans' association the troops remembered how they felt the invasion played out: The details of that operation were ...
... at My Lai Two months ago, if someone had said the words My Lai to me, I probably would have looked at them unresponsively and thought nothing else about it. At the time, I didn't know what those words were, or the amazing story behind them. I first heard about ... Lai. William Calley was a 24 year old platoon leader for the Charlie Company, which was commanded by 33 year old Ernest Medina. Calley was not exactly thought to be officer material. He had a lack of respect for the indigenous population and knowingly allowed misconduct amongst his soldiers. On March 14, 1968 a popular ... I ...
... made that ultimately stifled the Great Society. First, he "underestimated the expense of leading a two-front war in Vietnam" (Schulman 101). Johnson thought that he could fund the Great Society at home, as well as support the war against communism in Vietnam; later he regretted leaving the " ... war in Vietnam. Second, Johnson did not anticipate racial backlash. Combined with the civil rights movement and the war on poverty, many American thought that Johnson was giving too much importance to African Americans and other minorities; this caused antagonism toward Johnson and liberal govern...
... in Chicago and seemed to have a good life. He wanted to get out and see the world though, so he decided to join the United States Marines. He thought he was the only twenty-two year in the world still living at home. He was confused and trying to be somebody. He did not what lied ahead of ... we begin to learn the horror and tragedies of the war and what impact the war had on his life. When he was first sent to the war he thought that he was doing the right thing. He saw the war as a chance to prove himself. His background had taught him that whatever the cause we must protect ... feelin...
... one man's reflection upon and story of the Vietnam War. I found this book very interesting. I chose it because I knew little of the Vietnam War, and thought it would be educational yet interesting for me to read. I also choose it because it was actually written by someone who was in the war. Philip Caputo starts ... realized it must be a feeling every man has some time in his life, and me being a woman had to think hard about the drive behind this. I thought that one of the turning points in the book was when he got assigned as the assistant adjutant. He longed to be in the battlefield, ...
... years later in 1961 Eisenhower left the presidency and by this time 685 advisors were in Vietnam already. Eisenhower believed in the 'Domino theory', he thought that if Vietnam fell to Communism the surrounding countries would fall like dominoes around it. This was the main reason USA was involved. Diem set up ... took away there land, while the Vietminh gave peasants land and helped them. The USA was again fighting for the wrong reasons as they thought it was non-communist against the communists. In fact the peasants didn't even understand what communism meant and what leader they were ...
... the two shared the same points of view on many grounds, which will be shown in the following essay. Wallace, who before the running in 1968 was thought to be "small time," and a southern racist. Wallace was popular with many southerners and is remembered to this day by a speech made and his campaign ... country. Both candidates were concerned about the growing violence that was in response to the war and the fight for civil rights in the country. Nixon thought that calmness had to be restored in America and ending the war with his "secret plan," and encouraging the civil rights movement....
... of battle. In 1945 Vietnamese nationalist declared independence from France. In 1954 France surrenders 10,000. Vietnam splits, North and South. American's thought that Vietnam was thought to be the gateway for China and Soviet Union. South Vietnam was thought to be vulnerable to attack from these countries. Ho Chi Minh wants to unify Vietnam. Eisenhower felt that South Vietnam was essential to ... stand in Vietnam. North Vietnamese infiltrate the Ho Chi Minh trail. In 1964 Hanoi increased infiltration. Johnson sends Military chief to direct military policy. General Maxwell D. Taylor bec...
... put a stop to communism. The USA sent many soldiers to fight against the enemy, never quite realizing what it was truly sending them against. From the US viewpoint, it was thought that the War in Vietnam would be over and done with rather quickly. How wrong could the US be? Out of the shadows of war came a different enemy, one that ... fantasy day would actually often bring a harsh reality to for many soldiers, when they returned home and saw that they had drastically changed and so had the country that they thought they knew. But on the battlefield, the DEROS date was revered and looke...
... North Korea invading the south. "Large movements of troops, tanks. Ordinance and ammunition to the border areas were reported. This was not suspected as a treat of war because it was thought to be a normal aspect of cold war behavior."(2) When America joined the war under command of General MacArthur, they made a great push north. When they were close to the Yalu ... United States had much control over the land around the Yalu River. The main objective of China was to eliminate the 3 presence of U.S. Military control in South Korea. "Mao Zedong thought the removal of United States troop...
... I was pretty liberal going to "no nukes concerts", supporting NORML, abortion rights, environmental issues, and other similar causes. At that time I thought the left were more concerned about individual freedoms. When President Clinton was elected my thinking was this change in leadership is probably a good thing ... even though I did not vote for him (I voted libertarian). I thought Rush Limbaugh was clueless and had no love of anything, especially animals. My perceptions were based on opinions I gleaned from people in the media. ... praising the new Clinton administration and the lib...
... emotionally. Even though Richie Perry was the young man who was brave enough to go to the war for money, in the inside he was suffering more. Richie Perry never thought he would be in a position of such a terrible feeling. Richie was getting more confused, disconsolate, etc. Richie Perry couldn't believe how the Vietnam War was nothing what it ... thought it be. In the war, many horrible things occurred like missing body parts, millions of dead meat, children dead, etc. Throughout the story he couldn't take it any more. Perry ... end. It was more like there worried to stay alive than ...
... was a bad idea. Combat became a game, who could get who first. Chris: Did you ever think or feel at anytime that you might make it home? Lonnie: On two occasions I thought my days were over. The first was when I was shot down in Laos on a Special Forces mission. I was able to crash land my helicopter on a grassy hilltop right in the ... last few days were a nightmare of things that could possibly happen. When I got on that plane to come home, only then did I breathe a sigh of accomplishment for this last year. I thought about the friends and fellow soldiers that I was leaving behind and...
... a friend thru it too. Q: Are you glad you made the decision to join the army? A: I"m not glad I joined at all. I only did it because I definitely would have been drafted and I thought I would be better at least to receive some drafting experience that I could use later in life, as I am now. As it turns out events all put together kept me from ... , quaint towns of Europe, and what the USA looked like from another continent. A lasting memory was the impression of New Jersey the first day I got back from narrow, crowded Europe. I thought of Europe as being paradise, land of endless wealth,...
... 's was definitely also the food of love. Musicians were sickened by love songs, but the appetite did not die. "Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and/or roll" was a common thought among Clergy and just about anybody over 30 in the 60's and 70's. It was also fondly referred to as, the devil's music. There was a popular belief that, if a person ... with "American Woman." Over 180 songs were written in reaction to the Vietnam war alone. In the 60's and 70's music was a force that actually affected the way many people thought and acted. In fact, songs were later written that accused the mu...
... inspires listeners to be more superficial. This paper will show how society inspires music and how music inspires society. I first started to do this research project by first looking where I thought music prevailed as a great influence in society. I saw it played a big role during the Vietnam era and much of today. I first used the internet. The internet is a great a place to ... preached about peace and how the war was evil. Though support was needed more, an atmosphere of anti war predominated, leaving America divided. Jimmy Hendrix a great musician often expressed his thought of the...
... those polled believed that our government leaders were not doing the right thing, whereas 66% of people polled in 1998 said that they thought our government rarely made good decisions. There was also a large increase in people who thought "big government" was becoming a threat to America's future (35% in 1965 to 59% in 1998). For the most part we can see that ... . In general, 71 percent of people polled today believe that people in general lead less honest and moral lives than they once did. When I use to think of the 60s, I thought of tie dye t-shirts, hippies, Jimi Hendrix, and rebell...
... rate of South Vietnamese evasions of service than those in the United States. By this time in the war, the United States had begun sending lots of troops home. Nixon thought that the ARVN would have fought harder had they had longer amounts of training. The ARVN fought much weaker as they saw the American forces withdrawing slowly week by week ... as the Khmer Rouge to fight against the government. The head General of the Cambodian military, Lon Nol, became uneasy over the whole situation and overthrew Prince Sihanouk. Lon Nol thought that he had more power and authority over the prince...
... appointment with the doctor. The doctor measures Marlow's skull to compare its size at the present time to the size of his skull upon his return from the Congo. The thought is that a civilized man's skull is a different size than a savage's skull. When Marlow asks the doctor what the results of this test have been in the past, the doctor comments ... succumbed to disease and starvation, and is basically eaten alive as he nears death. Kurtz believed he had control of everything that was his. Marlow actually didn't believe that Kurtz thought everything belonged to him. Saying that everyth...
... ;, which the VC held for a month. They executed over 5,000 civilians loyal to the South Vietnamese, and when the ARVN took the city they killed far more people who they thought had collaborated with the VC. By the end of the campaign Hué was almost completely destroyed. Although the Tet offensive was a military disaster for the North, with 45,000 ... , especially as 1968 was an election year. General Westmoreland had commanded US troops in Vietnam since 1964. He had been fighting a conventional war of 'search and destroy' which he thought would wear the VC down. He also used his tec...