No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... my locker upstairs just as the high pitched bell rang for the beginning of class. "Shit!" I mumble under my breath. My stomach twists until I begin to feel nauseous, first day of school and I'm already going to be tardy. It wasn't long before the high pitched bell alerted the arrival of lunch. After grabbing the bag with the food my ... planned on finding a place to sit where I wouldn't be too noticed. "Hey Kat!" I hear a guy's voice call behind me. Whipping my head around in attempt to find the first person who had spoken to me all day, I see a guy waving at me. "Uh hey." I say wearily...
It was my 13th birthday when I bought my first guitar. It was a Sisonics black electric. I bought it off one of my best friends, Tom for $32. It was probably the best thing I have ever done with my life. It ... opened up new things into my world and I realized I had a great talent. Playing guitar is a passion I have that I never want to lose. At first I thought it was too hard, and with what little patience I have, I was always getting angry thinking I sucked. But as I got older and put more time and effort into it I realized ... and I went outside a few days later, and smashed my Sisonics ...
... game, and now I'm getting bored! I hear footsteps!. "All-right!," My brother's are home.! "Willie!," "I'm upstairs and ready to win!" He won't answer me! Maybe, he went to go see mom first. Several minutes have passed, now I hear him coming up the stairs. My back is turned, so I can't see him until he comes around the corner. "I have the game all ready ... on let's play!". Still no answer. I look up, expecting to see my brother. I now see four very large men, in plain clothes with guns drawn looking down at me!. My first thoughts are, "Who are these men, and what are they doing here?." ...
... Pacific and Scott Streets in Monterey.  This is the probably the most valuable historic old landmark left to State of California and very first public dramatic entertainment given to the people on the Pacific Coast ( File 43 ). This building was originally built in 1844 by a man ... and Tops". "This company gave two minstrel performances in the disused dining room of Jack's building "(Historical Survey 1937) . "This was undoubtedly the first effort at minstrelsy on the Pacific Coast" ( Historical Survey 1937). After the Mexican War was over and Stevenson's regiment of New York Voluntee...
... 1989, children born to parents of different races increased from 1% of total births to 3.4%. There has also been an increase in births to Japanese and White parents. There are now 39% more births to Japanese-White parents than births to Japanese-Japanese parents (in the U.S.). Between 1968 and 1989, Chinese-White births more than tripled (from 1,000 to over 3,800). From ... going into interracial marriages are prepared for a rocky road and are prepared to stick with it, while same race couples may have not experienced that same adversity, and at the first sign of struggle, back out of t...
... National Restaurant Association conducted a survey in 1996 that showed more than 62% of all Americans choose smoke-free restaurants over ones that allow smoking. A 1996 Angus Reid poll found that 39% of people would eat at a smoke-free restaurant more often, 46% said they wouldn't change their normal habits, and 16% said they would eat out less often. Some restaurants are ... as well as business. Based on sales receipts from restaurants in New York City, researchers found that sales have actually risen two percent since January of 1995, when the ban first went into effect. The studies s...
... Joads had to leave their farm after being evicted. The bad farming conditions ruined their crops, and therefore, they did not have enough money to withhold their land. (French 34-39) Along with many other migrants at the time, they traveled to California in search for a better life, where they could obtain new jobs and provide for their family. However, it ... their search for work, and attempting as much as possible to come to terms with these people's essential characteristics. Leaving them, he made several trips to various camps to observe first-hand the living and working conditions...
... peace between the south and the north. By September 20, Fillmore had signed the last of the five measures of the 1850 Compromise into law. First California entered the Union as a free state, ending forever the old balance of free and slave states. Second, the Texas and New Mexico Act ... had a broader experience in politics and diplomacy. His political beliefs consisted in saving the Union, depending on the concessions to the South. During Buchanan's first six months in 1857 he encountered the Dred Scott Decision, new troubles in Kansas and a business panic. Dred Scott was a slave that af...
... or without back pay. Affirmative action is a way to redress past grievances. Chronicle of Higher Education. "Using Class Rank: Who Makes It and Who Doesn't." Chronicle of Higher Education 46.39 (2000) A research article conducted using two high schools in California and Florida to show how using class rank as automatic admittance into state universities is not the best plan. The ... idea from that which came from the original Civil Rights Act of 1964. If we want to promote equality, than there are two ways we can do so. We can first try to only honor people on their merit rather than ra...
... instated a plan toward the end of 2014 which had 4 parts save water, increase enforcement against water waste, invest in new technologies, and streamline government response. There are examples of the first two within the paper already but the second to will be explained right now. "The California Energy Commission, jointly with the department and the water board, shall implement a Water ... ...
... makes people believe in them. For example, sometimes I watch a show called Ghost Hunter/Busters, paranormal investigators uses high technologies to detect and communicate with the dead living around us. The first equipment that are needed to detect ghosts or spirits is the Electromagnetic Fields Meter, it reads the presence or movements that ghosts are disrupting and making affect around the field ... ...
... in that sense. Getting a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, getting hired on by a police agency, and moving out of my parents' house are my three main goals. To begin, my first goal is to get my bachelor's degree is criminal justice from the University of Nevada, Reno. One of the reasons why this is an important goal for me to accomplish ... ...
... As a public resource, water supply market is natural monopoly. Petra, H., Walter, I., & Peter, D. (2013) showed that the water demand curve usually slopes downward because the marginal value of water used is first high and then slow down. The water supply curve slopes upward due to the increasing marginal cost as the quantities of water increases. There is an initial equilibrium in the ... ...
... of us really go out of our way to change things for the better. We as a society act on negative situations rather than preventing the bad from happening in the first place. Based on these facts, we need to help the agriculture businesses out financially so we can help mother earth. Because if we don't step up and pay the miniscule ... ...
... that students most likely cannot join clubs and organizations because they hold meetings during class times. This started out as a personal trouble. I did not feel as though I was lying at first, but I was not being honest which goes against my moral standards. This soon became a public issue as more and more students and parents called in to discuss the program. I have ... ...
... would make the Wednesday evening practices, every once in a while, but were unable to fully commit to the team officially. The underlying demeanor of the Special Olympics organization is a person-first approach by allowing extra time for that individual to make his or her own choice. Within the rhythmic gymnastic program there are four categories of skills that need to be ... ...
... in others, any knowledge of the biological father is forbidden by law. Anonymous sperm donation is a life-changing (and starting) process that is increasingly impacting our world today. In the first place, anonymous sperm donation completely contradicts itself. The definition of donation is "something that is given to charity." If this were the case with sperm donation, males all ... ...
... a life of struggle, bloodshed, and hard work, the families in Rain of Gold arrive in America. However, even in America Lupe's family still had to jump through hurdles and at first, life wasn't as effortless as they had previously hoped. For example, Lupe was unable to attend school for a while after coming to the United States. It is expressed in the ... ...
... an earthquake and should last you for a minimum of three days. The kit should contain plenty of food and water, cooking supplies, eating utensils, clothes (warm and waterproof), medicine and first aid supplies, radio (with extra batteries), mobile phone (with extra batteries), toilet paper, knife, goggles, work gloves, contact information and important documents (How 1). Other items can be added to the ... ...
... , the 100-Mile Diet, or simply eating local. These terms all refer to the growing trend of purchasing food that has been grown and processed in one's own community. At first glance, this seems completely contrary to the pride we have taken in the past to be able to get foods from all over the world anytime we want. We can ... ...
... the job of consuming waste material and removal of nitrogen the water flows to this secondary clarification where a small amount of aluminum sulfate is introduced as the water leaves. Water first enters the plant at the headworks where it receives heavy mechanical screening. Bar rake screens trap large debris and screen wastewater. The water then leaves the headworks and flows into ... ...
... controversy over capital punishment. In October of 1994, a judge in a California state court ruled that the gas chamber is a form of cruel and unusual punishment (Murphy). This account was the first ruling ever by a state or federal judge to invalidate a method of execution. The judge noted that the condemned might remain conscious for several minutes after the beginning of the execution ... ...
... high school graduates go to college in California. Also, shutting down health clinics is a huge mistake. Health clinics are for the public when they need medicine, shots to prevent diseases, first aid, or other treatment. Health is a very important factor. If California closed off these health clinics, then good health will not be available to the public. The Californians were disgusted ... ...
... 36 students who took the survey, 24 agreed that most teens in high school are sexually active, only 10 disagreed, and 2 were unsure. -"Most teenagers (75% to 86%) have their first sexual intercourse between the ages of 15-20. III. Condoms must be distributed to America's public high schools. A. September 1997 study in Chicago and New York found that making condoms ... ...