No results matched every word — showing papers matching any of them.
... my locker upstairs just as the high pitched bell rang for the beginning of class. "Shit!" I mumble under my breath. My stomach twists until I begin to feel nauseous, first day of school and I'm already going to be tardy. It wasn't long before the high pitched bell alerted the arrival of lunch. After grabbing the bag with the food my ... planned on finding a place to sit where I wouldn't be too noticed. "Hey Kat!" I hear a guy's voice call behind me. Whipping my head around in attempt to find the first person who had spoken to me all day, I see a guy waving at me. "Uh hey." I say wearily...
It was my 13th birthday when I bought my first guitar. It was a Sisonics black electric. I bought it off one of my best friends, Tom for $32. It was probably the best thing I have ever done with my life. It ... opened up new things into my world and I realized I had a great talent. Playing guitar is a passion I have that I never want to lose. At first I thought it was too hard, and with what little patience I have, I was always getting angry thinking I sucked. But as I got older and put more time and effort into it I realized ... and I went outside a few days later, and smashed my Sisonics ...
... game, and now I'm getting bored! I hear footsteps!. "All-right!," My brother's are home.! "Willie!," "I'm upstairs and ready to win!" He won't answer me! Maybe, he went to go see mom first. Several minutes have passed, now I hear him coming up the stairs. My back is turned, so I can't see him until he comes around the corner. "I have the game all ready ... on let's play!". Still no answer. I look up, expecting to see my brother. I now see four very large men, in plain clothes with guns drawn looking down at me!. My first thoughts are, "Who are these men, and what are they doing here?." ...
... Pacific and Scott Streets in Monterey.  This is the probably the most valuable historic old landmark left to State of California and very first public dramatic entertainment given to the people on the Pacific Coast ( File 43 ). This building was originally built in 1844 by a man ... and Tops". "This company gave two minstrel performances in the disused dining room of Jack's building "(Historical Survey 1937) . "This was undoubtedly the first effort at minstrelsy on the Pacific Coast" ( Historical Survey 1937). After the Mexican War was over and Stevenson's regiment of New York Voluntee...
... eliminating the greed and ignorance from their lives. Buddhism arose during the fifth century BCE in India and is currently practiced by approximately 500 million people throughout the world. Buddhism first spread to the western world in the second half of the nineteenth century when Chinese immigrants settled in Hawaii and California. These immigrants built temples to practice Mahayana Buddhism, and ... among artistic groups, and new departments of Buddhist studies were established in universities. Today, approximately 3 million Americans identify as Buddhists. Buddhism's aim to end su...
... programs in California and the decrease of women and minorities in the workforce and business granted contracts. In order to understand why proposition 209 has drastically affected California one must first understand affirmative action. Affirmative action was born of the civil rights movements about three decades ago, affirmative action called for minorities and women to be given special consideration in ... 209 made it illegal to consider race or gender in admissions, the number of African Americans in the freshman class dropped 51%, Chicano/Latinos dropped 43%, and American Indians f...
... , the Kaiser Family Foundation, and Harvard University. This poll reported that among those people experiencing the most eco-nomic distress, 57 percent said racial tensions were increasing, compared to only 39 percent among those who were worried least about their economic condition. The same survey found other signs of persistent racism among many whites. Most whites, for example, believe that the ... ...
... 1989, children born to parents of different races increased from 1% of total births to 3.4%. There has also been an increase in births to Japanese and White parents. There are now 39% more births to Japanese-White parents than births to Japanese-Japanese parents (in the U.S.). Between 1968 and 1989, Chinese-White births more than tripled (from 1,000 to over 3,800). From ... going into interracial marriages are prepared for a rocky road and are prepared to stick with it, while same race couples may have not experienced that same adversity, and at the first sign of struggle, back out of t...
... National Restaurant Association conducted a survey in 1996 that showed more than 62% of all Americans choose smoke-free restaurants over ones that allow smoking. A 1996 Angus Reid poll found that 39% of people would eat at a smoke-free restaurant more often, 46% said they wouldn't change their normal habits, and 16% said they would eat out less often. Some restaurants are ... as well as business. Based on sales receipts from restaurants in New York City, researchers found that sales have actually risen two percent since January of 1995, when the ban first went into effect. The studies s...
... Joads had to leave their farm after being evicted. The bad farming conditions ruined their crops, and therefore, they did not have enough money to withhold their land. (French 34-39) Along with many other migrants at the time, they traveled to California in search for a better life, where they could obtain new jobs and provide for their family. However, it ... their search for work, and attempting as much as possible to come to terms with these people's essential characteristics. Leaving them, he made several trips to various camps to observe first-hand the living and working conditions...
... peace between the south and the north. By September 20, Fillmore had signed the last of the five measures of the 1850 Compromise into law. First California entered the Union as a free state, ending forever the old balance of free and slave states. Second, the Texas and New Mexico Act ... had a broader experience in politics and diplomacy. His political beliefs consisted in saving the Union, depending on the concessions to the South. During Buchanan's first six months in 1857 he encountered the Dred Scott Decision, new troubles in Kansas and a business panic. Dred Scott was a slave that af...
... or without back pay. Affirmative action is a way to redress past grievances. Chronicle of Higher Education. "Using Class Rank: Who Makes It and Who Doesn't." Chronicle of Higher Education 46.39 (2000) A research article conducted using two high schools in California and Florida to show how using class rank as automatic admittance into state universities is not the best plan. The ... idea from that which came from the original Civil Rights Act of 1964. If we want to promote equality, than there are two ways we can do so. We can first try to only honor people on their merit rather than ra...
... movement to make English an official language surfaced in the early 1980's. Most experts believe that this legislation was aimed at Spanish-speaking people (qtd. in Santoro 890). The first such recommended amendment was put forth by Senator Hayakawa from California (King). His proposal would have additionally "prohibited federal and state laws and regulations requiring the use of other ... . Hayakawa continued to work for his cause by forming the "U.S. English" organization (King). This prompted a number of states to enact legislation calling for English as the official language. The fir...
The result of California election on June 4th, 1998 was predicted all along. Proposition 227, also known as the anti-bilingual education measure, won in 61% favorable to 39% unfavorable contest. In a seemingly routine contest, the proposition brought out one of the most disparaging groups of supporters and critics, displaying passion for their causes in rallies, forums, ... Passing of such proposal meant virtual elimination of bilingual education in California. The biggest critics of proposition 227 are teachers. They claim that the premise of Proposition 227 epitomizes ignorance. First exampl...
... have before prison. Education in prison provided each and every person with an opportunity to decide their own individual reality, an opportunity to take stock of any situation, a new (or first) opportunity to learn, and to discover the joy of learning . . . (Meyer 2001). The ultimate goal of educating inmates in prison is to reduce inmate's recidivism rates and help the inmates ... ...
... bars and bars bankrupt as smokers would not go there any longer. Smoking is not illegal, so people should have the flexibility to smoke where they wish. As a matter of first importance, it has been demonstrated that tobacco comprises of cancer-causing mixes which cause genuine damage to a man's wellbeing, not just the smoker. Regardless, bars and eateries could adjust to ... ...
... instated a plan toward the end of 2014 which had 4 parts save water, increase enforcement against water waste, invest in new technologies, and streamline government response. There are examples of the first two within the paper already but the second to will be explained right now. "The California Energy Commission, jointly with the department and the water board, shall implement a Water ... ...
... statutory accomplishments reveal some of her views on our environment. Her choices in legislature involve the continued preservation of our environment. Feinstein supports the fuel economy standards changed, creating congress's first act on global warming, the over 7,000,000 acres of California Desert being declared a reserve, and CALFED. There is now an increase in the standard fuel economy for "cars ... ...
... makes people believe in them. For example, sometimes I watch a show called Ghost Hunter/Busters, paranormal investigators uses high technologies to detect and communicate with the dead living around us. The first equipment that are needed to detect ghosts or spirits is the Electromagnetic Fields Meter, it reads the presence or movements that ghosts are disrupting and making affect around the field ... ...
... frightening at the same time and is evident of mismanagement or lack of management of water resources/system in California. Desalination Plants The State Water Resources Control Board approved the first statewide standards for constructing desalination plants on May 6th; these plants will have the ability to treat Pacific Ocean's seawater and convert it into potable water fit for drinking and ... ...
... Action. Many wanted schools to be integrated, and saw a need to have rules regulating how many people of each race attended a school. This was the reason why Affirmative Action was first brought up in 1935. Americans believed that blacks and whites needed equal chances. (Affirmative Action 3). These standards were set in a different time period, when blacks and whites were struggling for ... ...
... in that sense. Getting a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, getting hired on by a police agency, and moving out of my parents' house are my three main goals. To begin, my first goal is to get my bachelor's degree is criminal justice from the University of Nevada, Reno. One of the reasons why this is an important goal for me to accomplish ... ...
... cages and feed the animals among other tasks. The medical staff in the Chimpanzee Sanctuary will be of utmost priority. The team will be recruited from state veterinary hospitals. The first year of operation will be marked with voluntary services outsourced from the people of California. The rangers from two zoos and orphanages within the state will assist in creating rescue ... ...
... As a public resource, water supply market is natural monopoly. Petra, H., Walter, I., & Peter, D. (2013) showed that the water demand curve usually slopes downward because the marginal value of water used is first high and then slow down. The water supply curve slopes upward due to the increasing marginal cost as the quantities of water increases. There is an initial equilibrium in the ... ...